Engine Problems

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Engine Problems

Postby rwidman » Wed May 20, 2020 9:28 am

TAMD41P
I have an oil leak and high oil pressure. I judged this to be beyond my skill level so I hired a well respected diesel mechanic with Volvo experience.

He determined that the oil cooler was leaking but when he checked with the Volvo dealer, the price was $3200. Being an independent mechanic, he came back and told me the price and suggested that I try to find one myself for a better price. I found one (new) on eBay, but in Norway. The price was only $1300 but it's somewhere between Norway and the USA and I don't know when it will get here.

What (if any) mechanical problems have you had with your Volvo engine and how did you resolve them?
rwidman

Re: Engine Problems

Postby Bruce » Wed May 20, 2020 11:53 am

Engine oil coolers are one of the Achilles Heels with the TAMD41PA. There is a place in California that list the cooler you need for approx $2400 (Sea&Ski Volvo Penta). The Norway cooler listed is a killer deal. Shipping times may be an issue for you though. If memory serves the part numbers on that cooler should be 861601. I have experience with replacing that cooler and am in the process of helping one of our Canadian Camano owners in replacing his via facetime. I would be happy to do the same. In the interim, the question of the day is, where exactly is the cooler leaking and has the cooler been disassembled and inspected.
Finally, don't fret about your experience level. Should a new one be required the removal and install of the replacement is not difficult. Regardless there are also cooler o-rings that need to be ordered as well. I can help you with the part number should you desire.

Regards,
Bruce
"Chasing Time"
Hull # 84

253-219-3772
Bruce

Postby rwidman » Wed May 20, 2020 1:12 pm

Thanks, I already have a mechanic involved so I'm not going to throw him off the job.

He took it to the local Volvo dealer/shop where he used to work and they said it was no good. It was leaking at one end seam.

Right now the mechanic has it but he is supposed to bring it back to me so I can take it apart.

Having seen what he is doing, I'm sure I could do it again if needed, but I suspect the next problem will be something different.
rwidman

Postby jhance » Thu May 21, 2020 9:58 am

Not sure if this is the same issue, but I am getting a little oil coming down the port side of my engine. It looks to be coming from the upper part of the engine. It's hard to tell where exactly it's coming from, and it's not much. The oil is not just in one area... it's along much of the upper portion of the engine along the upper edge of those cap things.
Not sure if the oil is leaking from one location and travelling or ? Pics attached. Any insight welcomed.

Jamey
Attachments
20200503_143528.jpg
20200503_143528.jpg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 176 times
20200503_143556.jpg
20200503_143556.jpg (3.56 MiB) Viewed 176 times
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby Bruce » Thu May 21, 2020 11:35 am

Well I shall leave you to it as it seems you are in good hands.
Bruce
Bruce

Postby Bruce » Thu May 21, 2020 11:47 am

Jamey, its hard to tell from the pics without seeing the entire area and looking it over. May I suggest that first you wipe every thing down. Make sure all of the oil is cleaned off. Run the boat for an hour under power and then take a good hard look. You may be able to narrow the area down a bit. Also ensure that you do not have a fuel leak in that area as a little bit of diesel fuel combined with a bit of dirt on the engine can look like oil as well.
Regards,

Bruce
Bruce

Postby rwidman » Fri May 22, 2020 11:43 am

The oil cooler (and the filter and filter mounting) is on the starboard side of the engine. The fuel filter and fuel injector pump is on the port side.
rwidman

Postby Bruce » Fri May 22, 2020 12:00 pm

I understand however it appears to me you mentioned oil on the port side in your original message?????
Regardless I will stay with my original suggestion.

Bruce
Bruce

Postby rbunz » Mon May 25, 2020 5:21 pm

Check with Mr Cool https://www.mrcool.us/coolers/volvo-pen ... olers.html
I believe it was a former Camano owner Dave Higgins was forced to buy a cooler in Canada and spent $4,000(??) and Mr Cool was selling it for $1,300. The message is in the archives somewhere. Reguardless check with them before you pull the trigger on a new one from VP. You may also check with a radiator shop about rebuilding your existing cooler.

//Rick
rbunz

Return to Open Topics