Windless Maintenance

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Windless Maintenance

Postby rbunz » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:20 pm

I have been procrastinating on this project since last summer. Frankly we only use our anchor a few times a year. But like many on the Camano Board I like to know things will work when I need them. The Maxwell 500 windless pressure arm replacement was easy. I spoke with the Maxwell tech support and they convinced me that if I wasn't having major problem to skip the total rebuilding. Just check the electrical connections and replace the pressure arm. Project took all of 2 hours with part of that was cleaning out the chain locker.

Replacing the pressure arm was very simple and only requires a screwdriver, needlenose pliers and waterproof grease.

http://www.maxwellmarine.com/support_maintenance.php

//Rick
Wild Hare
Attachments
rsz_windless.jpg
After seeing the crust on the bolts I was glad I didn't try to take the motor apart.
rsz_windless.jpg (80.58 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
rsz_img_1190.jpg
The screw on cap. Mine came off easy
rsz_img_1190.jpg (46.7 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
rsz_img_1203.jpg
The old pressure arm
rsz_img_1203.jpg (47.24 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
rbunz

Re: Windless Maintenance

Postby jhance » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:50 pm

I believe you have the Maxwell 800, not 500?

If you haven't already, you might want to also change the oil. I did mine a couple years ago and we also replaced the seals. I had someone helping me but it wasn't too difficult. I also had to replace the stripper arm which was cracked. I just ordered another pressure arm that partially broke after only two years and maybe only 8 times anchoring total. I also replaced my rode with 50' chain and 250' 3-strand. Next will probably be a new Rocna 15kg and probably the Mantus swivel.

Pressure arm P100019
Stripper arm P100085
Seal kit P90003
Parts kit P100087
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby jhance » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:04 pm

Also you might consider inspecting all of your rope if you haven't already... it's looking a little worn and looked much like mine did at 17 years old before I replaced it this year. The 30' or so closest to the chain will be worn the most, and I'm going to guess your rope-to-chain splice looks similar to mine (rust-covered from the rusty last chain link) and in need of replacement. You can reverse the rope, cut off a few rusty chain links, and make a new splice... but I opted to replace the whole thing due to the age of my rode and my splice wouldn't look nearly as nice as what a professional rigger can do!

Also side note, if you have a wash-down at the bow and holes punched in the hose tube, on sunny stretches I have been leaving the deck cap off the tube for ventilation in the chain locker. After several dry days, my rode is nearly completely dry (as opposed to always being wet, mold, etc).
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby rbunz » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:37 pm

Unfortunately It is a 500. The number is cast in to the crank handle insert on the top of the windlass. I am contemplating replacing the chain and rode. Nothing is terrible but it is 21 years old and many of the links are rusty. Its just one of those things that we don't use much and frankly is not broke. What did it cost you to replace the chain and rode? With a West Marine discount?

On another note when do you guys think you will be able to open the campground? I hope this doesn't kill your spring and summer seasons. At least us home inspectors are working :)

Thanks
//Rick
rbunz

Postby jhance » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:56 pm

It was like $600 or so for the entire rode from Fisheries. Yes, pretty much shut down except for essential personnel. Hoping to open by late spring.
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby jhance » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:01 pm

Finally got to replace my pressure arm today. One thing to pass along was my struggle getting out the little plastic ~1/2" tube that holds the pin in the deck housing. I think last time I didn't replace it because it looked OK but this time I did replace. I couldn't get it out but instructions say to drill it out which is what I had to do. 1/8" bit. Worked well.
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby rbunz » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:43 am

When I talked to Maxwell tech support he actually told me not to worry about the replacing that little piece of plastic. He said it rarely wears out and users tend to do more damage removing it. From his perspective he would rather not see it in the kit. So for me I just ignored it.

//Rick
rbunz

Postby jhance » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:08 am

Yes I can see that. You gotta be super careful with the drill. Let the bit find the perfect orientation of the hole. I don't think mine had ever been replaced after 17+ years and it looked pretty worn so I opted to just do it. Absolutely necessary? Probably not unless super worn out.
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Return to Open Topics