ProSafe ZincSaver30

Any topic related to our Camano boats

ProSafe ZincSaver30

Postby Mapril June » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:53 pm

The Mapril June is a 2005 Camano hull #239. I am hoping to find someone with the same zinc protection system as mine. I have a xantrex 1750 plus inverter and I am replacing it with a xantrex SW 2000, should be a snap. I also have the ProMariner ProSafe ZincSaver30. I believe this is all original equipment. My problem is when I removed the old inverter, I detached the two heavy wires, one red, one black, I discovered there was also a smaller green coming from the Zinc Saver attached to one of the two lugs on the inverter. At this point I don’t know if the green wire came off the red lug or the black one. I contacted ProMariner service they tried to tell me the entire system is wrong. The boat is 15 years old and the bonding has been working just fine. All I am trying to determine is the placement of the little green wire. Does anyone out there have a similar set up?
Thanks, Doug
Attachments
IMG_3330.jpg
IMG_3330.jpg (65.94 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
Mapril June

Re: ProSafe ZincSaver30

Postby NorWyn » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:16 am

Hi Doug,

Not absolutely certain my boat has the zinc saver but I am hull 234 I think (2005model so there is a good chance...

I will be at the boat later today and will have a look to see if I can help you out.

-Chris
NorWyn

Postby NorWyn » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:35 pm

Hi Doug,

I appear to have the same equipment as you but I do not see a green wire going from the zinc saver to the inverter.

There are three green wires attached to the zinc saver that seem to be part of the bonding system which makes sense to me.

Two green wires, one heavier gauge than the other are attached to the right side lug on the right side of the zinc saver as you face it.

There is a third lighter gauge green wire attached to the left side of the zinc saver again as you face it.

None of these wires lead to the inverter (not sure why they would). Again I think they are part of the bonding system with no relation to the inverter but I am no expert.

As an aside, this was an interesting exercise as I was not previously aware I had the zinc saver....I need to do some research on it now :).

I can send you pictures if you email me at Norwyn@shaw.ca.

Regards,

Chris
NorWyn

Postby RMDH » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:58 am

Hi Doug
We have similar vintage hill but not the Zincsaver. I see the manual is available here: http://j30.us/files/J109/ProSafe%20FS30 ... olator.pdf

By the way we do have the larger Xantrex inverter/charger which is serving well and will draw your attention to the spec of wire they recommend for attaching to the house battery as shown in that manual - which is substantial gage.

What we have learned is that the inverter requires quite a bit of power (2 amps?) to operate so if we just need to power small items like mobile phones and computer with 120volt instead use a small $50 pure sine inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter socket if at anchor and trying to save batteries.

Richard
“Snug” #231
RMDH

Return to Open Topics