Canvas and isenglass on flybridge

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Canvas and isenglass on flybridge

Postby PCLoop » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi everyone,

We got our 2002 Camano last year and are getting it ready to do the Great American Loop next year.

There is currently a partial canvas over the flybridge. We are contemplating adding the second canvas top for full sun coverage and discussing the positives and negatives of screens/isenglass to protect from bugs and rain when we Loop.
We don't want to detract from the beautiful lines of the Camano but don't want to be more uncomfortable than we need to be if we are upstairs steering in various weather conditions.
Would appreciate your opinions.
Thanks, Ellen
PCLoop

Re: Canvas and isenglass on flybridge

Postby jhance » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:36 pm

I think it's just a matter of preference. Isenglass makes for good wind and rain protection, but it does add a bit to your windage. I am not a big fan of a bimini that completely covers the entire length of the flybridge, but again it's all about what you prefer. If you are thinking of doing that, plus adding isenglass so your entire flybridge is completely "indoors," I think that's too much. The windage alone will be a problem and you will have more difficulty docking in even slight breezes.
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby Sea Muse » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:33 pm

I agree with Jamey about the added windage, Big Time. Part of the loop includes the Great Lakes and a few open stretches in the NE, however when you're on the rivers and the IC Waterway it would be good to have. I have worked on the lakes and rivers in the Canadian Arctic so I can appreciate all the bugs you would probably encounter on the Great Loop and then the enclosure would be nice to have. I'm in Western Canada but if I lived back east I would definitely do that Loop as well.
Sea Muse

Postby rbunz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:03 pm

I agree with the previous posts. The windage will haunt you and even if you had Isenglass in bad weather you don't want to be on the flybridge as you don't have windshield wipers to clear the glass. The Camano has excellent view lines from the lower helm and thats the place to be in poor weather.

Does your Camano have AC? I heard thats a "must have" for the loop. We are still working out screens for our side windows. We are going to build our own and most likely use stainless snaps to hold them in place. Just another project on the list.....

Rick
Wild Hare
rbunz

Return to Open Topics