Transducers

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Transducers

Postby dboyes » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:31 am

Currently I have three transducers mounted on the transom on the starboard side supplying the following:

Two Lowrance x48 Depth sounders, one at each helm. These were obviously installed at time of build in 1999.

And, one Garmin sounder, that is wired to a Garmin 740s chart plotter on the lower helm, installed by previous owner.

I am looking at removing the two Lowrance and installing a Dragonfly Pro4 on the upper helm.

However, as I read the transducer installation instructions for the Dragonfly it says not to be used on boats where transom is aft of propeller and recommends placement to port if left hand screw.

In contrast, my existing Garmin transducer is aft of propeller and to starboard and works fine. Thoughts on this versus Dragonfly instructions??

Another issue is that the Garmin runs at 50MHz and 200MHz, dual frequency, and causes the Lowrance's to go nuts if on at same time. I believe the Lowrance's are 50MHz.

I'm sure these days boats have multiple transducers so is there a way around this issue?
David
Piccolo #98
dboyes

Re: Transducers

Postby jhance » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Holy transducers. I'm a fan in thru-hull transducers. No holes to drill. Sounds like you have a lot going on... have you considered simplifying your setup and upgrading upper and lower together so everything communicates?
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Re: Transducers

Postby dboyes » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:56 am

I have Jamey but don't want to put that kind of money into it.

I use Navionics on iPad as my chart plotter and just take it from lower to upper helm when needed.

Ideally, I'd like a bluetooth Transducer to show depth on the iPad.

I'm also looking at determining if the existing Garmin transducer can provide the existing Garmin 740s and another Garmin device for the flybridge with depth and temperature without having to add a second transducer.
David
Piccolo #98
dboyes

Return to Open Topics