Changing engine coolant

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Changing engine coolant

Postby PerfectChoice » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:17 am

Want to replace coolant on TAMD41p, can’t find drain plug on block, simple service manual says there is hose for draining, but that is on newer version engine. Found drain on turbo and exchanger but not the block, thanks
PerfectChoice

Re: Changing engine coolant

Postby Sea Muse » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:33 am

Mornin: I have the 41p-a engine which is pretty much the same. Right near the expansion tank down about as low as the oil cooler is another drain
(had to see ). It is one of those spigots so don't look for a shiny brass plug. If you crack the lid on your expansion tank and make this your first drainage point you will get very little out of any other plug.
Sea Muse

Postby PerfectChoice » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:41 am

Sea Muse, I knew it was there somewhere, thank you !,
PerfectChoice

Postby rbunz » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:10 am

Volvo Penta so poorly engineered this coolant setup for changing it. Have lots of diapers and just know that your going to get a couple of quart's into the engine bilge area. In hindsight I am tempted to just let it drain into the bilge and suck it out with my shop vac but my vanity says to try to catch as much as possible in trays. I will then transfer to a bucket. As I said a messy job and you don't get all the coolant out of the block. Fortunately I only do this every 5 years or so.

//Rick
rbunz

Postby PerfectChoice » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Thanks rbunz, I’ll be ready
PerfectChoice

Postby NorWyn » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:31 pm

Just did this a month ago....it is indeed messy and awkward as Rick says.

Highly recommend having a 3 foot length of hose (1/2 inch internal diameter as I recall) which can be manually attached onto the drain nipples (especially the lowest one). You just push it onto the nipple...no clamp required.

If you have some empty gallon milk jugs or similar you can position them beneath the engine and drain into them. It is good to have two people - one in the engine compartment who can shut the drain or put a thumb over the hose to stop the flow as the jug gets full and one above to take the jug(s) away, again as they get full. Nitrile gloves and lots of paper towels are also a good idea.

The “downloads and links” on the home page of this site is useful under the heading “coolant draining procedure...”

http://camanopacific.com/documents/TAMD ... aining.pdf

Good luck!

-Chris
NorWyn

Return to Open Topics