Ready for cold weather?

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Ready for cold weather?

Postby jhance » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:04 pm

Here is my quick list:

1. Drain cockpit shower. I drain from under galley sink and I now remove the compression elbow fitting behind the cockpit shower that has frozen and broken a few times.
2. Antifreeze raw water washdown system. Don't forget to ensure there is antifreeze in the pump/strainer and ensure there is antifreeze in the metal part of the thru hull shut off valve just above the shut off handle. You can drain the system if you want, but there ARE low points that will hold water in the system including the strainer, the connection at the bow in the anchor locker, and the hoses.
3. Low-watt heater/fan in the engine room and in the galley; cabinet and head doors open.
4. Insulation for engine room vents on standby.

Anyone have any other must-do items?
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Re: Ready for cold weather?

Postby ctjstr » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:01 pm

That's a bit more than I do I keep a dehumidifier and small heater going. Make sure the bathroom door is open and the engine hatch is open. I try and remember the cockpit shower.....but forget half the time. I also leave the water pump off.
Toni
Day Island, Washington

1997 Camano Troll
CONVERGENCE
ctjstr

Postby Lazyjacks » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:42 pm

Hi:
Looks like you folks do a great job of winterizing. Makes me feel guilty. We bought Lazyjacks {hull 68) new in '97 and she has lived here in the water at West Sound Marina on Orcas since that time. The only thing I do is put a radiant heater in the galley (low setting) and and open the cabinet door under the sink. So far have never had a problem. We are very lucky that the water temperature never drops below about 40 degrees so we get a lot of heating from that source.
Cheers,
Clyde
Lazyjacks

Postby jhance » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:13 pm

A few minutes in preparation for cold weather could saves hours/days/headaches if you're ready and things start bursting. It has been relatively warm for many recent years, but I remember some pretty nasty cold snaps around here in late 80s and 90s.

Salt water in a pipe apparently freezes at 28 degrees. Add a Frasier River Valley outflow NE wind and that will suck the heat out of pretty much everything. People think that salt water in a pipe won't freeze until the ocean freezes which is incorrect. Some on this forum has mentioned their strainer on the raw water pump has frozen and burst. I antifreeze the system just in case.

I also keep the window blinds off in the front so that sunlight can warm up the interior.

Clyde - I kept my boat at West Sound for a year but am now over at Deer Harbor. We should get together sometime!
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby Lazyjacks » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:35 am

Jamey-Yes we should and in the meantime pray for no prolonged power outages.
Clyde
Lazyjacks

Postby Bruce » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:40 pm

I put a low watt heater in the lazzerette which allows me to keep the soft drinks from freezing as well as the cockpit shower hose/faucet head.
A side benefit is the heater helps keep the mold at bay as well.

Regards,

Bruce
"Chasing Time"
Hull 84
Bruce

Return to Open Topics