New anchor and rode - suggestions?

Any topic related to our Camano boats

New anchor and rode - suggestions?

Postby jhance » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:10 pm

Looking to upgrade from my 10kg Bruce and am leaning toward a Rocna.

Questions:

1. What size/weight is recommended for the Camamo? Does anybody have a Rocna 10kg or 15kg on their Camano, and do you like it?
2. I have a Maxwell 800. Manual recommends 5/16" chain and 5/8" 3-strand or 8-plait rope. My current setup is 50' of chain a 300' of rope and I think it works well. Any comments on 3 strand versus 8-plait?
3. Dry weight of the boat is 10,000 pounds. I figure fully loaded I am closer to 13,000 pounds. Rocna sizing chart http://www.rocna.com/product-range/sizing-guide says a 10kg should be adequate although possibly a little undersized if heavily loaded. Has anyone done this calc... sound about right?

Thanks for the tips.

Jamey
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Re: New anchor and rode - suggestions?

Postby NorWyn » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:51 am

Can’t speak to your specific questions on Rocna but can give you our experience on our set up, to date, which has been great:

We also travel heavy with full tanks and lots of gear.

We anchor out about 75% of the time with a 10kg Bruce type anchor with 150 feet of chain and an additional 150 feet of line. In close to 100 nights on the hook we have yet to drag anchor. Having said that, we obviously try and find the most sheltered spots we can. I would say 10% of our nights at anchor have been rough enough or in sufficient current that we had real concerns which turned out fine - if uncomfortable - especially in rough weather.

My impression is that having the longer chain laid out along the bottom is a major advantage and you might consider going that route before the expense of a new anchor if you have had issues (but I am no expert on the subject). I have read that anchor rope should also always be 3 strand but beyond that really have nothing to support it, as an opinion. (I also just referred to Nigel Calder’s manual and he specifically supports three strand nylon over plaited rope).

The other thing I have found really useful, for peace of mind, is keeping a Navionics route running on my iphone in the berth so I can see the swing pattern laid out on the chart without getting up.

It is still a learning process but overall a night at anchor is almost always our preference as long as we have lots of water in the tanks, good food, and room in the holding tank. :)

Hope that whatever you decide works out well for you!

Chris
NorWyn

Postby Gypsy Rose » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:25 pm

I have a 25lb Manson Supreme anchor. Just love it, sets first time every time, has never let me down. Google Manson Supreme and check out the chart. You will see that the 25lb is more than enough for a Troll. Recommended minimum chain length on a boat is one and a half times the length of the boat, so 50 ft is good, that's what I use. Rode, 300ft is usually plenty. What ever size fits your windlass best.

Every time I change boat, if it does not come with a Manson Supreme, the first thing I do is swap out for a MS. This is my third Manson Supreme. I am not interested in trying out any other anchor, I know what works.

Martin.
Gypsy Rose

Postby Gypsy Rose » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:42 am

Ooops! In my above post I said I use 50ft chain. My mistake, it is 80ft.

Martin.
Gypsy Rose

Postby Badger » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:48 am

We replaced our 15kg Bruce type anchor that had 50' chain and 200' rode with a Rochna 10 anchor, 100' 1/4" G43 chain and 200' of 8 braid high strength line.

This was used for three weeks this summer and was very secure
Keith DeBelser
Badger Hull #7
Badger

Postby Gypsy Rose » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:15 am

I see a lot of Bruce type, Plough, and Danforth anchors in my marina. I would never trust one for overnight anchoring. Much better off (IMO) with a 'new generation' anchor.

Martin.
Gypsy Rose

Return to Open Topics