Saltwater Cooling Question

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Saltwater Cooling Question

Postby dboyes » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:37 am

After each run I am adding 4oz of Saltaway to the saltwater filter unit and then running the engine for 30 seconds or so to distribute the Saltaway in the saltwater cooling system.

I read somewhere (but can't remember where), that this will help keep the saltwater system in good shape.

This is my approach instead of cutting into the hoses and flushing with Rydlime or fresh water.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
David
Piccolo #98
dboyes

Re: Saltwater Cooling Question

Postby Bruce » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:12 pm

Spend the money David and install the flush kit. It takes a little over 30 minutes to install and will ultimately do a better job. That said should you ever run aground and develop a fairly good leak you simply
open the flush plug and can get rid of the excess water plenty quick. Salt away won't do that one.
Bruce
"Chasing Time"
Hull 84
Bruce

Postby jhance » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Here is the link to the Saltaway page instructing how to flush with sea water: http://www.saltawayproducts.com/InboardFlushingPage.htm

I would guess you let the engine sit overnight after seeing the foaming action in the exhaust, then run engine the next day. It's probably not the best way to flush but likely better than nothing? Will be giving this a try soon!
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby Badger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:30 am

Bruce:

I don't see a thread on the flush kit. How do you do that? It sounds like it is really worth while. Does it use fresh water or ??

Thanks
Keith DeBelser
Badger Hull #7
Badger

Postby Badger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:25 pm

It occurs to me that if the engine is sitting in fresh water, the "Zincs" will not work. Would have to switch to aluminum.

Is that correct?
Keith DeBelser
Badger Hull #7
Badger

Postby Bruce » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:36 pm

Keith,
You can find my article on fresh water flush by going to the top of the page, left side, and click on Open Topics then, click on page 12. the article is about half way down the page.
With regard to your comment on fresh water and Zincs, the Tamd 41PA engine does not use internal zincs making it a non issue. That said using salt-away would basically kill all of the salt making your zinc comments relative on all engines with exception of the 41PA. Frankly I don't think it would bother the zincs that much to sit in fresh water for a while.

Regards,
Bruce

PS: should you have any questions regarding the fresh water install I would be happy to chat or help in any way.
Cell:253-219-3772
Bruce

Postby dboyes » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:49 am

Jamey,

Thanks for the link to SaltAway site. Now I remember where I got the idea:)

After each use of boat I do this routine and leave the SaltAway in the system until next time I start up.
David
Piccolo #98
dboyes

Postby jhance » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:03 am

I tried this yesterday. Seems weird to be flushing with salt water, but the saltaway site says it is effective. I wonder how much solution is actually sitting where it needs to be in the cooling system... wouldn't most of the solution you put in the strainer just shoot right out the back? Unless you had a constant stream of the stuff running through the system, like with a flush kit, not sure how effective it is. I don't know. Like i said, probably not the best solution but better than nothing. Just be sure to leave the seacock open otherwise your impeller is running dry.
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby dboyes » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:53 am

Jamey,

I agree it probably isn't the best, but better than nothing.

If one turns off the engine before foam appears out of exhaustive SaltAway must be in the system albeit mixed with salt water.
David
Piccolo #98
dboyes

Return to Open Topics