Can anyone compare the two engines?

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Can anyone compare the two engines?

Postby whistlerxc » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Hello: I am a non-owning member of this Camano Forum. But want to be an owner! There are two Camano's in my area (western BC) at two different price points. One appears to be in better shape from the photos, but at a higher price. The main difference from what I can tell is the different engines. One is the smaller TAMD-31A and the other is the TAMD-41P. Does anyone have experience, or even an opinion, as to performance, fuel efficiency, maintenance problems, etc. between the two? Does the smaller engine really make a difference as to cruising speed? I don't mind going a bit slower at cruise and probably would not use the WOT that much, but would go with the bigger engine if all I could get was 6 knots with the smaller engine. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.
whistlerxc

Re: Can anyone compare the two engines?

Postby Galliwags » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:03 pm

I have a Cummings 4BT engine in mine - 4 cycl. 150 HP and can cruise at 7.5 knots @1800 rpm with fuel economy better than 1 litre/ nautical mile.
Galliwags

Postby whistlerxc » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks. The smaller (31-A) Volvo is a 4 cylinder, 140 HP (I think), so I assume it would get something similar as far as knots per rpm. Although I guess I really don't know. Your fuel economy is certainly enviable! I guess I should not be surprised that your vessel has a Cummings as I assume people could choose to put whatever engine they wanted in an ordered Camano, but I think the majority were Volvos.
whistlerxc

Postby Orrs@me.com » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Our Camano has the larger Volvo - 6-cylinder turbo charger.

It’s the engine that truly makers the Troll semi-displacement!

Cruising on the E.Coast that power is useful. E.g. dodging the high performance nutters, overtaking similar boats safely and adhering to bridge lock times. I also comes in very handy to dodge a squall, or get back in harbour before dark!

Plodding at 6-7 knots is canal / lake stuff.

Some spare power is desirable IMHO.
Orrs@me.com

Postby rbunz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:47 pm

I have the Tamd-41p. Great engine. As said enough power so if we are can't in current we can power through. Although this is called semi-displacemount. I would call it trawler with sprint capability. Our troll with the 200hp. Is happiest at 9 knots. Faster than that and the troll starts gulping fuel.
rbunz

Postby Orrs@me.com » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:40 pm

Just to qualify the last comment - my chosen speed is 7.7 it’s /2300 rpm. My boat is heavier than most - equipped for long distance (tools etc) + personal kit for a whole season (up to 5 month onboard). That may explain that ‘rbunz’ has a higher cruise speed.
What needs to said is that the TAMD41 needs to be exercised ‘regularly’ on risk carbo build up. When conditions are right I step-up the rpm 250 rpm a a time and run at each speed, while I watch oil pressure and engine temperature. It will go to 3500 rpm! It’s impressive at high speed - though in a heavy boat the cavitation is excessive. Just 4-5 mins at each step confirms the engine is healthy and assures me that nothing will break (like a hose) when called up - in a crisis! The most important aspects of the procedure is to burn off carbon from the valves, ports and pistons.

On my first trip up to Canada. I did the Erie and Rideau at 1700 rpm - it was nice to dawdle - I would only pass that way once! But by Montreal the exhaust was smoking - so we the blasted down the St Lawrence - problem solved!
Orrs@me.com

Postby whistlerxc » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:29 pm

Thanks for your helpful comments. I guessed that the 41-P engine would be more favourable but was hoping that maybe it would have better reviews. Unfortunately for me, the one of two Comano’s for sale is the 41-P and it is located across the channel and thus harder to inspect while the smaller engine vessel is a local. I also appreciate the advice on care of the 41-P should I get that one.
whistlerxc

Postby Gypsy Rose » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:11 pm

Just to add another twist into the mix. My engine is the BMW Mercruiser 180hp. Her cruise sweet spot is 2000rpm, sipping fuel, giving an ave of 7 knots (plus or minus depending on current).I also run heavy, but going light I guess you could add another knot on. My boat is coming up for sale. Location, east coast, Vancouver Island, BC.
If you are seriously interested in my boat, send me an email and we will talk.

Martin
bridges45@shaw.ca
Gypsy Rose

Postby rwidman » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:56 am

I can't compare the two engines in the same boat and I doubt anyone can. Perhaps you could arrange a sea trial and determine this for yourself.

Personally, I feel the TAMD 41P is more power than what's really needed if you're treating your Camano as a trawler. We travel at 2K RPM which results in a speed of seven knots over still (no current) water. I don't try to keep a steady speed, I keep a steady RPM and let the speed over ground sort itself out.

Somebody mentioned underloading and I think that's what you get at 2K RPM. Unlike the person who posted this, I seldom raise the RPM just to burn off carbon or whatever.

I think the smaller engine would do just fine for most folks. Remember, a lot of seven knot trawlers out there have less than one hundred horsepower and do just fine.
rwidman

Postby Gypsy Rose » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:49 am

Nice message rwidman, you got it spot on. Exactly what I was trying to say. I run all day at 7 knots just sipping fuel. Yes I have a top speed of 15 knots but never go there. Why guzzle fuel to arrive an hour earlier? Unless it's an emergency. I'm on 2000 rpm and that's where she stays when I'm cruising

Martin.
Gypsy Rose

Next

Return to Open Topics