Waste Tank

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Waste Tank

Postby At_Last » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Here is a question from jjmac51@comcast.net.
"My wife and I are currently shopping for a Camano 31. We see the waste tank is typically 15 gallons. Has there been anyone who was able to increase the waste tank capacity or is there just no room?"
Can anyone help this guy? Reply directly to jjmac51@comcast.net or leave a reply here and I will forward it to him.
At_Last

Re: Waste Tank

Postby ctjstr » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:00 pm

This topic came up at the rendezvous this July. We have a member who did a tank increase and he's provided me the info on who did the tank etc. i"m trying to put together a summary of the topics we covered in our discussions, to send out to all who were there. I may copy and paste it into the general forum for those who might be interested.

I'm slammed at the moment but how to get it down and out in the next week or ten days.

So the answer to your question is yes.

toni
Toni
Day Island, Washington

1997 Camano Troll
CONVERGENCE
ctjstr

Postby rwidman » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:46 am

There isn't really any room. You could have a custom tank made and squeeze a couple more gallons in but that would be the practical limit.

You could install an additional waste tank under the V berth or in some other area but the plumbing would be complicated and you would probably have to pump sewage from one tank to the other.

We find it best to just minimize what gets put into the holding tank. In marinas we use the shore facilities when practical. We don't over flush and we often "share" flushes.

We cruise a lot and the holding tank capacity hasn't been a problem for us.
rwidman

Postby Tomr » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:57 am

I was the one who increased the waste/holding tank size. We had a custom fabrication out of welded plastic. It takes up the space where you step down between the stove and head. Also had to cut the floor out there and tab in a new bulkhead. Pretty easy really as I had all inlets/ outlet located in the same locations so hookup was easy. Took the time also to clean up the space and repaint as well as replacing the bilge pump and switch there. We have been very happy with this change. Total capacity is in excess of 40 gallons now.
Tomr

Postby rwidman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:19 pm

Can you post photos?
rwidman

Postby rlgales » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:10 pm

Tomr wrote:
> I was the one who increased the waste/holding tank size.

We want to get a bigger holding tank on North Star. Will post pictures of the process and where you had the new tank made? I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Bob Gales
North Star
rlgales

Postby Badger » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:45 pm

A real easy fix is to install a "Nature's Head" composting toilet. Problem solved!
Keith DeBelser
Badger Hull #7
Badger

Postby rlgales » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:59 pm

Badger wrote:
> A real easy fix is to install a "Nature's Head" composting
> toilet. Problem solved!

I have thought about that but is there enough room? Do you have any pictures of your install?

On our sailboat I couldn’t figure out how to make it fit without a lot of cutting up fiberglass. Sold the boat and bought a Camano!
rlgales

Postby Badger » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:10 pm

I am not home for a few days so will post when returned.
Keith DeBelser
Badger Hull #7
Badger

Return to Open Topics