Through hull transducer

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Through hull transducer

Postby Mapril June » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Up grading my original electronics to all new GARMIN. Old system has two transom mount transducers. Plan to install a through hull GARMIN GT 23M-TH. My question is where to mount it? Has anyone installed their transducer in the flat area just forward of the engine? To me it looks like a perfect place, no slope out of the way, easy access, short cable run, but without hauling out won’t know how this will work.
Thanks for any info you can share,
Doug
Mapril June

Re: Through hull transducer

Postby nwradio » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:30 am

I thought the keel runs almost the entire length of the boat, which would mean the flat spot in front of the engine floor (I am assuming that is what you meant) still has many inches of fiberglass underneath it making the pointed edge of the keel below.

Yup - time to pull that rascal out of the water while you and your fiberglass installer look it over before the drilling starts.

Maybe an angle-mount in front of the water tank using faring blocks? I do not know myself - I don't do my own hull drilling and my transducers are all inside shoot-thru-the-hull types since I do not fish and just want water depth.

Good Luck - would like to hear about your results.

Walt
'Sea Bear' #43
nwradio

Postby rwidman » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:52 pm

I installed a "shoot through the hull" transducer on the flat spot behind the house batteries. It works fine and no hole in the boat.
rwidman

Postby PerfectChoice » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:39 am

rwidman wrote:
> I installed a "shoot through the hull" transducer on the flat
> spot behind the house batteries. It works fine and no hole in the boat.

Good information, what model transducer did you use, and which plotter is it hooked up to.

Thanks
PerfectChoice

Postby jhance » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:52 am

I would not mount it in the flat area forward of the engine for three reasons: 1. I don't think you will get the best signal, if any at all, since you will be attempting to shoot through too many inches of fiberglass in that location, 2. It will be in the way and you will constantly be kicking it when working in that space, 3. Any oil, water, etc. that may collects in that section of bilge may affect the unit.

A flat area is best to minimize the amount of fiberglass you will be shooting through, but you don't need a perfectly flat area to mount it as most units are able to be mounted on an angle. We mounted ours in the lazarette, port side, forward near the bulkhead. Works great, is out of the way, epoxied to the hull so no holes. Happy with the results and it often gives me readings at greater depths than my transom mount transducer.

Question: why would you need to haul the boat and/or do any drilling of any kind for this install?
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby Gypsy Rose » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:41 pm

I have installed several thru hull transducers on previous boats. Pick your spot in the depths of the boat, stay away from the keel. Slight slope is ok for install as the transducer can be epoxied into place so that it 'shoots' vertically straight down. Only holes I had to drill was inside the boat getting the cable to the helm.

Martin.
Gypsy Rose

Postby RMDH » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:33 am

Our transducer is through-hull and is located on starboard side forward end of engine compartment on the horizontal ledge. So from memory about a foot from the bulkhead. If you open up the engine compartment hatch kneeling down on forward end and reach straight down would be in the vicinity. The unit measures speed and temp as well as depth etc. The paddle for speed can be removed from inside to clear marine growth that may block the paddle. A cable runs from there to a Raymarine multi function display. Looking at what is shown online something like Raymarine B744vl Long Stem Bronze Thru Hull Tri-Ducer With Fairing Block. I believe the fairing black is then modified to deal with small slope.

Richard
“Snug”
RMDH

Postby Badger » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:24 am

We completed a full Garmin upgrade last spring and mounted the transducer to port side near the front of the engine on the flat section about 6” from the water tank and heater.

Garmin make a selection of transducers that’s will mount on a slope and correct for the slope internally. Check that out as it did not require any flaring and such and works awesome.
Keith DeBelser
Badger Hull #7
Badger

Return to Open Topics