Damaged Rudder

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Damaged Rudder

Postby Raverill » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:24 am

I recently bought Champagne Girl but had a problem crossing the straight between Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast. The key came out of the rudder post allowing the rudder to rotate and hit the propeller causing chunks to be knocked out. I have it being hauled out July 15th to inspect the damage. Does anyone know if replacement rudders are available and if so can you get a larger one to improve control? Thank you
Raverill

Re: Damaged Rudder

Postby NorWyn » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:15 pm

You might contact Helmsman yachts in Seattle or their dealer in Nanaimo, Calibre Yachts.

Helmsman bought the Camano molds and perhaps the rudder on their 31 is the same or compatible.

Met you in Smuggler last week I believe….sorry to hear this happened so early in your Camano experience! Good luck getting it sorted,

Chris
NorWyn

Re: Damaged Rudder

Postby Quickmarch » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:27 pm

I tried to post a picture to this subject and was unsuccessful. If anyone knows how to do this, I would appreciate a reply. I did check the UCP and the box is ticked to (supposedly) allow me to publish photos in my posts.

I recommend that all owners inspect the rudder shaft/tiller head as soon as practical.

There should be a "grubscrew or setscrew" mounted at 90 degrees to the keyway. This is standard engineering practice. I checked my boat and it does have the requisite setscrew installed (reference - McMaster Carr part number 94087A118 or equivalent).

It would be prudent to inspect the pinch bolt/nut as well as the setscrew for corrosion. If you have the skills, remove, inspect, and re-install the parts using a product like "TefGel" or equivalent to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion issues. Otherwise, retain a mechanic to perform the work as torque values for the pinch bolt and setscrew are not readily available in the published Camano information.
Cheers,
March
Noon Sight
Hull #55
Quickmarch

Return to Open Topics