Ventilation

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Ventilation

Postby RMDH » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:35 pm

I am looking for ways to create some ongoing ventilation in port and at sea aside from leaving windows and portholes open. It can get into the upper 30’s inside on a summer day and there are times when it needs to be locked up tight. I don’t want to cut any fresh holes in fibreglass and the only idea I’ve come up so far is to place a fan into the door to the chain locker located in the forward berth. A small 12 fan blowing out through the chain locker would then naturally vent out further through the drains or up through the windlass and would have the added benefit of keeping the chain locker dry. I’m thinking of something in design similar to the stainless steel solar powered units that fit into the plexiglass hatch over the forward berth but 12v wired instead of solar. (Since edited to insert another design below) I would prefer not to obstruct the hatch with the fan but that could also be an option if the locker door idea doesn’t make sense . Without a hole cut for corresponding air intake it is possible that it would draw air in via sink drains or, worse, the septic tubing - no different than the solar powered ones I suppose. Hopefully there would be enough other air accesses (such as the conduit from the flybridge) that would be an easier route to filling the small negative pressure created by the exhaust fan.

As examples I quickly pulled these off the web. The fan would be mounted on the inside of the door. And the closeable stainless vent would be on the exterior side so as to be able to block airflow in from the chain locker when the fan is off.

https://www.vetus.com/en/ventilation/el ... peeds.html

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/vetus-d ... lator/ufo2

We don’t often don’t need to reinvent the wheel on this forum - so I’m wondering if anyone has pondered or, even better, solved this challenge? Or is aware of obvious other downsides to attempting this?. Or even if someone has the solar hatch vent - and whether that causes any issues re fumes from sink drains etc. when all other windows are closed ?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks
Richard
“Snug” #231
RMDH

Re: Ventilation

Postby jhance » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:18 pm

We have the solar fan on the v-berth hatch and I leave it running in the summer and also have a passive vent cut into the ceiling that exhausts under the dash on the flybridge. I open the aft window a crack and let air draw in from that window. I also have canvas that I put on the forward windows and the smaller side windows and I also pull all curtains. The combination of keeping the sun out of the cabin and exhausting any heat that does get in works pretty well in the PNW apart from the super hot days. I have not noticed any fumes... the fan isn't strong enough I don't think. I haven't seen a fan in the location you are proposing. Seems like an awkward setup. I think in general if you can exhaust directly outside, instead of into another cavity, that is ideal. Another option to consider, if you need to lock all windows, is leave the engine room hatch open and let air draw in from the engine room vents. In your situation I would just install a solar 12v fan in the hatch and/or if you have shore power just run a 120v fan pointing to the aft window open a crack.
Jamey Hance
"Audrey Grace" #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby RMDH » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:38 pm

Hi Jamey, thanks very much for your reply and good information. We too find the canvas and curtains helpful in the summer. We don’t have the ventilation into the flybridge. We have cracked open the side windows where we have a fan, but subject to rain, so your suggestion of the back windows which have some overhang is helpful. Also good to know you haven’t experienced fumes with a small fan venting out. I believe there are enough other natural vents and channels to compensate (engine room, main door (has a bit of a gap at the bottom), the conduit channel to the flybridge etc. We would use shore power to supply a fan if any.
No decision made yet but appreciate your input.
Richard
RMDH

Postby SaltyDog » Sat May 01, 2021 5:33 am

Marinco, for one example, makes a Day / Night solar vent that stores up energy (solar) during the day so it'll continue running after dark. I've used these on sail and power boats and enjoy their effectiveness. They come in a number of sizes with each having a different cfm rating.
Tim
Camano 31 WakeRobin #262
Tracyton, WA
SaltyDog

Postby RMDH » Sat May 01, 2021 10:10 am

Hi Salty Dog thanks for the suggestion. Does this model function at all during the PNW winter months ?
Richard
RMDH

Postby SaltyDog » Sat May 01, 2021 10:31 am

You know, I never really thought about that, however they actually do get enough solar to operate year 'round. I don't recall, in my experience anyway, one of them not operating in the darker time of year. If you want to be absolutely certain, there are 12vdc units out there, too. Those, you can connect to your boat's 12v system. Lots of options.
Tim
Camano 31 WakeRobin #262
Tracyton, WA
SaltyDog

Postby jhance » Sat May 01, 2021 10:33 am

I have Marinco installed in the v-berth hatch. It works great in the summer and is still going in the AM after a sunny day of charging. I have it on while the boat is on the buoy in the summer. In the winter they are not as effective (but still operate). A little after dusk in winter mine pretty much doesn't work at all.
Jamey Hance
"Audrey Grace" #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby RMDH » Sat May 15, 2021 11:33 pm

Thanks everyone for your reply to my question. I've decided not to do anything after all except make more use of the exterior canvas for the front windows which does make quite a difference, and some natural ventilation through the windows during dry weather. I agree with the constructive feedback i received here against installing a fan into the chain locker. I'm not quite ready to install a solar fan in the forward hatch but may do in future.

One product related to this topic I would like to share information about is called TEMPSTICK ( https://tempstick.com/ ) which, if you have access to WIFI from your boat at a marina for example will send via WIFI an hourly update of the temperature, humidity and calculated dewpoint on the boat which you can see from anywhere on a smartphone or computer.

I searched out this device while i was travelling away from home during the winter and was concerned that the power, which keeps our boat above freezing during winter, may go out (as does happen on Bowen) and rather than ask my wife to check the boat regularly - this device advises me by text message or email as I set it up that either a temperature or humidity level has been reached, or that the device has lost WIFI signal and so is no longer providing data. So this gives peace of mind whether at home or away and provides a constant record.

Occasionally we come across a product that does exactly what is says that it will do - and this is one of them. One set of AA batteries has lasted almost two years and it has worked flawlessly. The cost is about CDN$200 and is made by a small company in the USA.

Richard
RMDH

Postby rwidman » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:33 am

My boat came to me with a solar fan installed over the V berth. It didn't do much and when it finally failed, I just ignored it.

I think it's important to understand that no ventilation system works unless there is a way to replenish air that is exhausted with a fan.

Specifically, you can't exhaust air unless there's a way for fresh air to replace the air that's removed. For my fan to have actually accomplished anything, I would have had to leave the rear window partially open or cut a hole somewhere approximately the same size as the fan opening.
rwidman

Postby RMDH » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:22 am

Agreed air inflow is a big part of the challenge. My initial post did raise the question of where the replacement air might come from, such as the conduit from the flybridge or via the engine room. There are access points for air inflow, but not something dedicated to providing fresh air as in some other boats, which is what I have been considering. We’re using the exterior canvas window covers and inside curtains to keep the boat cooler this summer which is helping - and other methods to keep her dry in winter which working well.
Richard
RMDH

Next

Return to Open Topics