Missing thru hull escutcheon

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Missing thru hull escutcheon

Postby jhance » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:19 pm

Anyone have a source for the plastic escutcheons for the bilge pump thru hulls, the round plastic pieces on the outside of the hull? I am missing mine on the port side for the engine room bilge pump thru hull. Not familiar with these. Can I just glue one back on or is the escutcheon part of the thru hull itself?
Jamey Hance
"Audrey Grace" #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Re: Missing thru hull escutcheon

Postby NorWyn » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:42 pm

Hi Jamey,

I have not replaced one but these look very similar to what is on our boat (note you need to size the hose barb). It looks like the outer cap just screws on and you may not need to replace the entire unit if the threads are intact....

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/forespar ... 32_002_513

Forespar, the manufacturer, has a website with more details if you google them.

Cheers,

Chris
NorWyn

Postby Sea Muse » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:01 am

Hi Jamey: I've got hull # 185 and changed out most thru hulls 2 years ago for stainless. When I haul out next month I'll replace the one you're talking about and the one beside it. These 2 aren't so critical because they're well above the water line but any of these nylon type are prone to UV damage from the sun. The fact that it broke off is an indication it was very brittle due to UV. The others need to be inspected and preferably changed for new even if you use the nylon types. These original thru hulls in our 18 year old boats have aged out by now unless of course your boat lives in a boathouse. I was told one time by a marine tech that if a hose were to be inadvertently jarred a certain way it could break off the brittle hose barb. The 4 under the swim grid on my boat are also still original but because they never see the sun they still look new.
Hope this helps, --- Wayne
Sea Muse

Postby rbunz » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:41 am

Jamey,

If yours are like mine - nylon - then I posted about this last year. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=375

Even though these are above the water line since the Camano's squats when running water will get into these openings. On a prior boat I found the hard way that a lot of water will get into the hull through those bilge opening. :shock: During the next haul out I plan on changing all of them.

//Rick
rbunz

Postby jhance » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:58 am

Thanks for the replies. It looks to be just the escutcheon that "fell" off (pic attached)? I haven't looked at it super close yet, but I don't see any threads to screw a new one into. I'll probably replace them all at next haul out as well, but any harm in doing nothing at this point while I wait? Doesn't look like if water hit that area that water would get in?
Attachments
camano1.jpg
camano1.jpg (19.38 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
Jamey Hance
"Audrey Grace" #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby rbunz » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:40 am

The outer portion actually rotted off. If you grab the inside it may fall off in your hand. It happened to me. //Rick
rbunz

Postby jhance » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:03 pm

So you're staying it's not just the cap (escutcheon) but rather the entire assembly that should be replaced?
Jamey Hance
"Audrey Grace" #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby rbunz » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Yes - this is what a new one looks like. You can also get them in stainless but WM Anacortes only has the nylon ones. //Rick
Attachments
throughhull.JPG
throughhull.JPG (19.11 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
rbunz

Postby jhance » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:26 pm

I ordered these from Fisheries. I think this is a two man job (one person inside, the other outside). Will 5200 (edit: Boatlife LifeSeal) the inside of the hole, outside of threads, and flange. Any other tips/tricks/pointers are appreciated as this will be my first time opening up holes in my hull!

Jamey
Attachments
thru2.png
thru2.png (20.52 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
thru1.png
thru1.png (24.31 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
Jamey Hance
"Audrey Grace" #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby SaltyDog » Sat May 01, 2021 4:55 am

Hearing that they can fail from disintegration of the nylon? material, it may be a sound move to check all of them. As replacements, the stainless / bronze will be more expensive, however they'll probably be more durable in the long run as they'll never break down from sunlight or chemicals.
Tim
Camano 31 WakeRobin #262
Tracyton, WA
SaltyDog

Next

Return to Open Topics