Cleaning advice for black rubber strakes on hull

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Cleaning advice for black rubber strakes on hull

Postby HugSue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:37 am

Hello. The black rubber strakes on our recently purchased Camano 31 are faded and dull. Does anyone have any good tips for bringing them back to life? They are in good shape apart from the fading. Many thanks, Susan and Roger
HugSue

Re: Cleaning advice for black rubber strakes on hull

Postby Harlequin » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:47 am

We followed the advice on this forum for cleaning rub bars with acetone (search for acetone). It worked very well, be sure to mask the gel-coat well.
Harlequin

Postby HugSue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:16 am

Many thanks for your reply. We will check out the posts related to acetone and give it a try! Cheers, susan and Roger
HugSue

Postby DeTour » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:53 pm

We use
Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Gel. we buy and canadian tire.
goes on like a wax, gel and works fantastic. Wipe on wipe off.
No long term effects like a solvent.

DeTour
Camano31 248
Toronto/Midland
DeTour

Postby HugSue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:47 pm

Even better! Off to Cdn Tire. Many thanks! Susan
HugSue

Postby rwidman » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:55 am

I have tried almost every product intended to restore black trim with poor to no results. I live in South Carolina where the sun is fairly strong and for ten years my boat was docked where the port side was open to the afternoon sun but the starboard side was facing the morning sun and was partially shaded. The trim on the port side is almost white and the rest is badly faded as well.

I have tried the products suggested in this thread and they have not worked. Every now and then I see some "miracle" product advertised on TV (for cars and trucks) and am tempted to try them, but I haven't yet.

Oh; And the black paint on my aluminum window frames is mostly gone as well. I know what to do about that but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
rwidman

Postby Bruce » Mon May 03, 2021 1:45 pm

Hi,
I've had good success with my rub rails and would be happy to chat with you anytime. Its much easier to explain via phone as opposed to putting the process in print. It does take a bit of time but the results are very good. I have also repainted my window trim with good results as well..
Bruce
"Chasing Time"
Hull # 84
Olympia, WA
253-219-3772
Attachments
IMG_4489.JPG
IMG_4489.JPG (18.81 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
IMG_4486.JPG
IMG_4486.JPG (28.01 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
64151481883__555A4E7B-07F5-418D-9575-77905C1FF27E.JPG
64151481883__555A4E7B-07F5-418D-9575-77905C1FF27E.JPG (24.05 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
Bruce

Postby SaltyDog » Wed May 05, 2021 8:13 am

Bruce,

You'd do lots of us a good deed if you could take some time to document your process here on the forum so we all can benefit from your process.
Tim
Camano 31 WakeRobin #262
Tracyton, WA
SaltyDog

Postby Bruce » Wed May 05, 2021 8:54 am

Tim,
Per your request I will take time to document. I will get to it in a few days.

Bruce
Bruce

Postby Bruce » Tue May 18, 2021 8:23 am

Per Salty Dog's request, here is one procedure that I use to clean the black rubber strakes on the hull, and it has work well over the years.
Regarding the cleaning/polishing of the rub rails. I clean/polish the rails annually and have found that once they are polished, the following year the task becomes easier and takes far less time. Please note the products I use are what works for me. That said, I use the same products to cut and polish the entire boat annually.

Essentially the rub rails are made out of the same stuff that your common sprinkler system pipe is made from. It can be cleaned and polished, but it can also be burned/scuffed from excessive use of solvents along with high buffing speeds which can create enough heat to damage the rail. That said, one can easily redo the sanding/buffing procedure which will remove any mistake.

Prior to the easy part which is the actual cutting/buffing, inspect the rails looking for severe scuffing or scrapping damage as a result of high speed approaches to the dock. Using 600 wet/dry sand paper and the 3M product you can normally get rid of most abrasions. You can also use a spray bottle filled with water in lieu of the 3M. The area must be kept moist while sanding. You don't need a heavy hand here, just patience. Once that is done wipe the rails down with acetone. A towel, like (white) rag works best. Soak a portion of the rag, rub the rail back and forth turn the rag over and quickly dry. I would suggest performing this task in one foot increments. I use the rail attaching screws as a guide for this. Note: If the rails are badly stained, sanding and acetone should get rid of most of the stain. The following year the requirement to sand and acetone will be far less or not needed at all.

The buffer used should be a a variable speed rotary buffer. Note: Orbitals will not give you the result you are looking for. The wool pad I use is a SCHLEGAL #1 wool pad. I suggest wool as it creates a good amount of heat which is needed to clean and bring out a shine.

Apply the 3M using a damp sponge. No rubbing needed just cover the entire area using the between the screws method. Buffer speed setting should be at the lowest speed, approximately 500/600 RPM.
Once you have gone over the area several times increase the speed to 1200 RPM, buffing till there is a shine. Wipe with damp towel. You may have to do this a couple of times depending on the fade/damage to your rail.
Note: you really don't need to apply a lot of pressure just let the buffer do the work. Too much pressure drys the medium out before it can do its job. Once the rails are buffed out apply the Meguairs Polish per the instructions. Allow to dry and hand buff.

I know this all sounds complicated however it is no,t and I guarantee you the shine and protection you get far exceeds any of the other products out there. As always I am available via cell to help out and can travel within limits should any of you like a demo or a helping hand.

Bruce
"Chasing Time"
Hull # 84
253-219-3772
Attachments
IMG_4494.JPG
IMG_4494.JPG (25.74 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
IMG_4492.JPG
IMG_4492.JPG (25.83 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
IMG_4493.JPG
IMG_4493.JPG (25.47 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
Bruce