Riser/injection elbow

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Riser/injection elbow

Postby rwidman » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:36 am

Someone on Facebook (yea, I know) just advised me that my exhaust elbow will probably fail soon and destroy my engine (TAMD41P). The boat is 21 years old and the engine has 5K hours on it.

Anyone here have any experience or problems with this?
rwidman

Re: Riser/injection elbow

Postby dboyes » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:18 pm

I removed mine a couple of years ago and cleaned it all up, checked for rust and leaks and replaced it and the hose to the fibreglass housing.

I did this because I read a similar warning.

My boat is 22 years old and 1,800 hours.
David
Piccolo #98
dboyes

Postby rwidman » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:40 pm

Thanks for the reply.
rwidman

Postby Bruce » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:16 pm

Hi,
I submitted an article two or three years ago regarding the elbow as well as a good after market replacement. If you need any help or would like to chat regarding removal/repair call anytime.

Forum: Open Topics
Topic: Exhaust Elbow Corrosion
Replies: 14
Views: 14085

Regards
Bruce
"Chasing Time"
Hull #84
253-219-3772
Bruce

Postby SaltyDog » Sun May 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Does anyone have experience with the HDI stainless exhaust elbows for Volvos? My Camano is equipped with a D4-225 and I was considering this one: https://hdimarine.net/product/d4-exhaus ... g-elbow-2/
Tim
Camano 31 WakeRobin #262
Tracyton, WA
SaltyDog

Postby NorthVanBob » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:35 pm

Hi, I looked at the stainless steel option and my mechanic said that all stainless rusts anyway and it is better to have the same kind of metal as the rest of the engine. His two cents.

I got the HGE cast iron one three years ago and had it inspected this year... looking good.

Bob
Little Charmer
Hull # 26
NorthVanBob

Postby dboyes » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:50 pm

Where did you buy it from Bob?

Missed you at the Rendzevous:(
David
Piccolo #98
dboyes

Postby NorthVanBob » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:58 am

Hi David (didn't connect the dots at first), yes, we had to miss it this year. Next year we'll be there for sure!

I got it through my mechanic (Pleasurecraft Marine in North Vancouver) but I imagine he gets it via Western Marine or directly from the manufacturer. Ebay has 'em too. I generally get the parts through Pleasurecraft cuz they take care of the warranty.

Good call to replace every 3-5 yrs, it is (one of) the Achille heels of this engine. As is a small amount of eelgrass getting past your strainer and hampering flow through the oil cooler, typically at higher revs push the ball of eelgress (the size of a quarter in my case) to the aft outlet of the cooler. Sheesh!

Don't forget the gasket kit for the elbow and take a good luck at your turbo while you've got everything apart, fan should spin easily and look for carbon build-up/oil leaks.

As you know hoses are much better replaced before they flood your bilge with coolant and/or raw water. I generally look sidewise at anything other than 'fresh looking' hoses.

Also, there is a diamond shaped flange on the bottom of the elbow that connects the pipe feeding the elbow.. be sure to order that, too because mine gave up the ghost a year after the elbow was replaced... hot gases burned a hole right through it.

Best of luck!

Bob
NorthVanBob

Postby NorthVanBob » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:02 pm

Hi David (didn't connect the dots at first), yes, we had to miss it this year. Next year we'll be there for sure!

I got it through my mechanic (Pleasurecraft Marine in North Vancouver) but I imagine he gets it via Western Marine or directly from the manufacturer. Ebay has 'em too. I generally get the parts through Pleasurecraft cuz they take care of the warranty.

Good call to replace every 3-5 yrs, it is (one of) the Achille heels of this engine. As is a small amount of eelgrass getting past your strainer and hampering flow through the oil cooler, typically at higher revs push the ball of eelgress (the size of a quarter in my case) to the aft outlet of the cooler. Sheesh!

Don't forget the gasket kit for the elbow and take a good luck at your turbo while you've got everything apart, fan should spin easily and look for carbon build-up/oil leaks.

As you know hoses are much better replaced before they flood your bilge with coolant and/or raw water. I generally look sidewise at anything other than 'fresh looking' hoses.

Also, there is a diamond shaped flange on the bottom of the elbow that connects the pipe feeding the elbow.. be sure to order that, too because mine gave up the ghost a year after the elbow was replaced... hot gases burned a hole right through it.

Best of luck!

Bob
NorthVanBob

Postby dboyes » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:16 am

Thanks for this.

See you next year at Rendezvous.
David
Piccolo #98
dboyes

Return to Open Topics