electric coolers

Any topic related to our Camano boats

electric coolers

Postby marvgranek » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:39 pm

has anyone used an electric cooler to expand the fridge capacity? If so, what size. It will be housed under the dash on the flybridge.
marvgranek

Re: electric coolers

Postby Bruce » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:17 pm

I am using a 1.7 cf Dometic freezer. Ive had it for five years now and it has surely helped extend and preserve our food items. We start off by freezing 4 one gallon jugs at home, two of which are rotated to a separate cooler every two or three days. The freezer keeps our meats frozen and by rotating the frozen jugs to the other cooler our fruits and veggies are perfectly maintained.
The dometic freezer is placed length ways just behind the center flybridge seat. It also doubles as a table when eating up top or entertaining. The fruits and veggie cooler sits as far aft as possible which is right up against the railing.
I ran a line up and under the dash directly from the inverter for 120 volts. The freezer is AC/DC and works fine running on 12 volts as well. I guess it depends on my mood regarding which voltage to use.
In my opinion this is the only way to go if you are planning on being on the hook for extended periods. I have also added a fifth battery to my bank as well as solar panels hidden out of sight on top of the bimini. Given that the freezer consumes about 4 amp hours I could only stay on the hook for two days without starting the generator or main engine. Now with solar that will change.
Should you need any additional info just give me a call. 253-219-3772.

Regards,

Bruce
Hull #84
"Chasing Time"
Bruce

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:54 pm

Hi! I haven't used an electric cooler (yet) but just wanted to note that Costco has Massimo 12V coolers on sale beginning March 29 according to the flyer we got in the mail. They get good reviews. It looks like the sale price on the biggest one (52 qt.) will be about $270 (regular price $340).
Mark

Postby Bruce » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:27 pm

Mark, That sounds like a good price for the cooler. It sounds like it will serve you well.
My unit will operate as a cooler as well. Its just a matter of turning the thermostat to a higher temp. We spend a lot of time (two months plus) on the hook in Canadian waters. Given what it cost to buy meat in Canada my Freezer unit has easily paid for itself over the last five years.
Regards,

Bruce
Bruce

Postby Harmony » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:29 pm

I'm using a Vitifrigo unit, the medium size one. 110 or 12v. It just fits in the slot between the salon table and the bookshelf/counter behind the installed fridge. Can set the temp to freeze or just fridge temperature. I've been happy with it over the past season, and no reason you couldn't keep it on the flybridge if you want to.
Harmony

Return to Open Topics