Hella combo masthead replacement

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Hella combo masthead replacement

Postby RMDH » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:22 pm

Our Hella combo masthead white steaming/anchor light in front of the upper helm is no longer rainproof despite many attempts to seal it. Looking for a replacement I see that Hella only now sells 360 degree versions (not a combo of 180/360 for steaming or anchor. Steveston Marine shows a 20inch one on their website, but the one on our boats is only 12 inches tall and no others showing online. I may be able to cut it down cleanly to 12 inches. Perko makes a 12 inch combo looking very similar but with a different bolt pattern, but water ingress isn’t a concern on the front skirt where the lamp is mounted so not really a big deal just prefer not drilling new holes where possible. I’m likely going for the Perko but just checking if anyone has had to replace and found a Hella 12” Combi?

Hoping we can all Rendezvous this year !

Richard
“Snug” #231
RMDH

Re: Hella combo masthead replacement

Postby NorWyn » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:40 am

Hi Richard,

This might fit the bill...

https://ca.binnacle.com/Lights-Steaming ... _info.html

If you have not used the Binnacle site before they are a fantastic resource and often have store wide sales. Free shipping on orders over $100.

No affiliation - just very satisfied with purchases made from them.

Cheers,

Chris
NorWyn
NorWyn

Postby NorWyn » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:53 am

I should have added “if you can fit it to the existing mast”....

-Chris
NorWyn

Postby RMDH » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:48 am

Thanks for your reply Chris. I haven’t yet used Binnacle but my brother also mentioned them - will check out. Really like your idea of replacing the light portion only on top of my mast (didn’t consider that could be an option - so will check out dimensions.
Richard
RMDH

Postby rwidman » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:50 am

The PO had replaced the original two light fixture with a single, all around fixture and if I operated in the dark, it blinded me and I had to put a coffee cup over it.

I replaced it with the Perko unit but replaced the lamps with LED lamps. It's been working fine for several years, but I suspect it should really be a bit higher for true all around visibility in the anchor light mode.
rwidman

Postby RMDH » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:41 pm

The Perko model available is too short on mine as well to cast the anchor light to the stern if i replace the existing one with it as is. And the original Hella model is no longer available. i am going to try to mount the Perko lamp on top of the existing mast and see if that will fit and connect up ok. will advise he outcome. meantime thanks for everyone's input.
RMDH

Postby rwidman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:27 am

It wouldn't be difficult to remove the Perko fixture from its aluminum tube and replace it with a longer tube. You might have to extend the cable as well but that would not be difficult.
rwidman

Return to Open Topics