Presurre testing your coolant side (TAMD series)

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Presurre testing your coolant side (TAMD series)

Postby Bruce » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:55 pm

Just finished my Gizzmo of the week so I thought I would share it with you all.

This all started with a couple of drops of antifreeze on the front of the engine near the recirc pump. Try as I might I just could not find exactly where the seep was coming from. The only hint or clue was that it seemed to me the seep was more of a static seep as opposed to seeping while the engine was hot and running. That said sitting in front of a running engine is not the smartest thing a fella can do either.
Pressure testing seemed to be the answer but I wasn't about to pay $50. plus for a tester so I decided to make my own. Found a like expansion tank cap for a volvo diesel trunk on Amazon- URO Parts 9445462 Expansion Tank Cap.
Cost was $9.00.. with my trusty dremel and a cutting wheel I removed the cap innards with the exception of the plastic seal/gasket which I left in place. I then drilled a 3/8" hole and inserted a valve stem and tighten it down.
For good measure I added silicone on the top side of the gasket as well as the valve stem. Once cured, my new cap was placed on the overflow tank. I pressurized the engine cooling system to 15PSI. and within seconds I found the seep. I used a bicycle pump that had a gauge on it or you can use a separate tire pressure gauge.
BTW, most cooling systems are good to 15PSI however I find that if the leak does not show at 15PSI then one should stop as it is very likely that you don't had a gasket/o-ring or hose leak and should look elsewhere.

As always should you want to borrow my cap just give me a call or, if you want to make one of your own I would be happy to help.

Regards,
Bruce
"Chasing Time"
Hull # 84
Cell:253-219-3772
Attachments
IMG_4317.JPG
Silicone was placed between the seal and the cap as well as on the valve stem pruior to install.
IMG_4317.JPG (55.74 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
IMG_4315.JPG
IMG_4315.JPG (85.59 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Bruce

Re: Presurre testing your coolant side (TAMD series)

Postby Vector » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:05 pm

That's really slick. Definitely stowing your idea for future reference.

But now I'm curious: Where was the seep you sleuthed out?" Just to know how the mystery ended. ;)
Vector

Postby Bruce » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:00 pm

Yes there was. It was the fat o-ring between the thermostat housing and the recirc-pump. I can tell that replacing that little ring without removing the entire recirc pump was no easy chore. A lot of cussing with intermittent periods of massive Scotch infusions.
Bruce

Postby Vector » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:45 pm

Thank you! Never know when that info might come in handy. Plus, ahhh, mystery solved.
Vector

Postby Sea Muse » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:21 pm

Hi Bruce: Hell of a good idea with your pressure cap. I always thought of something like this, it will be needed some day, but never got around to
it. After looking at your post it gave me more incentive I guess. I bought a new Volvo cap and put it on the engine. I now have the original to modify. My question to you is: Did you do any more to the underside of the cap other than what shows in the pic such as a bolt through it or is the valve just glued on as shown?
Thanx, --- Wayne
Sea Muse

Postby Bruce » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:55 pm

Yes I did. I took a Dremel with a small cutting wheel and basically removed everything inside the cap. I kept the black gasket/seal and glued it into place with silicone. This is a must as the cap will not hold pressure if you do not perform this step.
Bruce

Return to Open Topics