Water tank leak

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Water tank leak

Postby Bayfield » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:17 am

I have a slow leak from my port water tank. Anyone had similar? Location not yet found but it is not the outlet pipe although it is somewhere low in the tank as was still leaking with tank almost empty.
Have successfully removed water heater to aid access and attempt to remove tank. Having trouble removing vent line and filling line- should I cut and replace completely? Boat is 1992.
Any advice welcomed!!
Roger
Bayfield

Re: Water tank leak

Postby Vector » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:09 pm

Did you buy "Capi," by chance? I was looking at her listing and there were SO many thoughtful upgrades. With the border closure there wasn't a practical way for me to consider it, but I did "steal" some ideas for my hopefully future Camano while viewing the listing.

(If you don't have Capi then you of course have another nice Camano :))

Not sure if you saw this already, but an owner (bowline dave) replaced the starboard side water tank and explains a bit about it. Perhaps some might apply to your port-side tank. It looks like his boat was a 1996, but I don't know that the water tanks changed at all.

I pasted his contribution below in this thread because there wasn't any other concrete info in the previous thread and this way you can keep the current discussion here in your thread.

"I just replaced my starboard fresh water tank after accidentally putting about a liter of diesel in it while refueling in Nanaimo in July. Fortunately, I immediately realized my mistake and immediately isolated the tank to avoid contaminating the rest of the potable water system. Based on my research, there really is no way to recover except to replace the tank, all of the fittings, the fill pipe and the vent pipe. The tank came out...barely...in one piece. I found a reputable vendor in Florida who fabricated a new one for me out of welded polypropylene. I specified 1/2" smaller in every dimension to make it a little easier to get the new tank back in place. Because the baffling system in the new tank doesn't take up as much volume, I think the new tank actually has the same or slightly larger capacity. I just got the new tank back in and reconnected today. Joy!

If anyone is interested, I can share the name of the vendor that fabricated the new tank. It appears to be of equal quality to the old one, although only time will tell.

Dave"

viewtopic.php?t=156&p=449
Last edited by Vector on Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vector

Postby Bayfield » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:16 pm

Hi Vector,
CApi is indeed sitting at the dock. As you say, some excellent upgrades. Missed this leak o0n the survey though!
Bayfield

Postby Vector » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:21 pm

Ooh, congratulations! I really fell for Capi. Great name for a BC boat, too.

(I added some info to my first post after you replied, BTW)
Vector

Postby Bayfield » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:26 pm

Owner kept the name!!!
Managed to get the vent line off today and still working on the filler. Hopefully sort that in the next couple of days.
Looking forward to actually leaving the dock!!!
Bayfield

Postby Vector » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:59 pm

This isn't Camano specific, but on a couple of past boats, I ended up removing the 1-1/2" filler cap (from the side deck) in order to get the new tank installed. In my case I didn't have to do it to remove the tank, but I couldn't reinstall it otherwise. The problem was due to the fact that the "neck" on the tank combined with the "neck" on the fill fitting - and the overall general shortness of the fill hose run - made it impossible to install any other way. Guessing there is not a ton of space above the Camano water tank fill neck, but it may not be that cramped?

So in other words, when I went to reinstall, I attached the pre-cut-to-length new fill hose on the tank neck, then carefully put the tank in place. Then I slid the fill fitting down through the deck and into the fill hose, and then clamped it (I could tighten the clamps from below, by standing on my head and using only two fingers :lol: ).

Okay, a lot of that may or may not apply to your situation -- I haven't seen that part of a Camano up close. But just some possible ideas.

While I had the deck fill fitting out, I took care of the exposed core around the filler (not sure if Camano did this or not, but many builders do not so it's a chance to potentially take care of that).

I guess you will be officially bonded with your new boat after this project ;)
Vector

Postby Bayfield » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:11 pm

I think officially bonded already!!!
Thanks for the suggestions, might well help on the fill line. Pretty sure the tanks have not been out since original installation!
Actually quite surprised to have any room to move in the engine bay!
Bayfield

Postby Vector » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:08 pm

Bayfield,
Just curious how you're making out with the water tank leak. Or maybe it's on hold until spring? (Or it went so well it was hardly worth writing about? ;) )
Vector

Postby Bayfield » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:16 pm

Well it was an interesting exercise removing the water heater, water compressor and finally the water tank. Enabled me to repaint the bilges in that area. At the end of the day there was no leak from the tank!!! Refitted everything and tightened all clamps and problem solved.
Could not source the leak from pipe joins first time around. Moral I guess is to start by just trying to tighten all the clamps a little!
Thanks for the interest.
Bayfield

Postby Vector » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:39 pm

It's great to know that it *can* come out.

Clean fresh bilges are always nice, too. So...on the one hand maybe you could have avoided the removal; on the other you didn't have to buy a new tank and it's all tidy now.

Any "interesting" details as far as removing the fill (or other) hoses to get it out?
Vector

Next

Return to Open Topics