After Cooler drain elbow repair and Mod TAMD41 PA

Any topic related to our Camano boats

After Cooler drain elbow repair and Mod TAMD41 PA

Postby Bruce » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:29 pm

Greetings all and Happy Thanksgiving.

Noticed a saltwater seep in and around the Aftercooler drain elbow. At that point I was unsure if the elbow could be easily removed for inspection. I decided to remove the entire Aftercooler assembly. This is a straight up task and took about 30 (not including the scotch break) minutes. Lucky for me the elbow was removed with ease. It was however cracked the entire circumference right where the threads met the elbow.
After staring at the elbow for a few minutes it dawned on me that the elbow was brass which is a no-no.
This was an original factory install which was a bit surprising. You all may want to make a note to take a hard look each year to ensure this does not happen to you at the most inconvenient time.
I found a bronze replacement and installed it without any issues.

The other reason for pulling the cooler was to take a look inside and check for corrosion/cleanliness. As some of you may remember I installed a fresh water flush system and decided to also flush with Rydlime every third year. Depending on what/where you read Volvo recommends pulling all of the coolers somewhere between 5 to 7 years and inspecting them. The Aftercooler was like new inside which made me very happy. Regarding the Rydlime flush, I added an electric water pump to the lid of a 5-gallon plastic pale and circulated the Rydlime mix for 4 hours. Its biodegradable so once you are done connect the hoses and start the engine.

Finally, The Aftercooler has an oil weep hole which drips dirty oil on both the starter and engine dampener assembly and finally down the side into the bilge area.

Included is a pic of my fix for this. I used a clear 3/8-inch ID hose. I plugged one end with a bit of silicone and allowed it to cure for 24 hours. Just beyond that plug I drilled a 3/8-inch hole just through one side of the hose. Once I cleaned the area to be glued with acetone, I place a drop of super glue about ½ inch apart along the entire tube. I placed the tube on the cooler so the pre-drilled hole lined up with the oil drain weep hole and it was immediately permanent. This now allows me to catch the oil and stops all the mess and pain trying to catch the oil with drip pads.

As always should any of you need any help please just let me know.

Regards,

Bruce
253-219-3772
“Chasing Time”
Hull # 84
Attachments
Aftercooler assembly.JPG
Cooler ready for assembly with new seals. NOTE THE SMALL RED TUBE. THIS IS BASICALLY WHERE I THOUGHT THE CLEAR DRAIN TUBE SHOULD BE PLACED.
Aftercooler assembly.JPG (105.84 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
Aftercooler repair.JPG
This pic shows the brass elbow broke right at the thread line. For reference I placed a Phillips head screw where the oil weep hole is located.
Aftercooler repair.JPG (98.34 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
Aftercooler drain Mod.jpg
Mod is complete. New Bronze elbow installed. Tube Mod was very easy to make and install. Now I can place a plastic cup on the end of the drip hose or wrap it with a drip pad or whatever. No more messy oil draining into the bilge.
Aftercooler drain Mod.jpg (51.34 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
Bruce

Re: After Cooler drain elbow repair and Mod TAMD41 PA

Postby nwradio » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:21 am

What a great write-up !

Thanks, Bruce. Since my hull number is a little older than yours, I am sure this will be on my maintenance list pretty soon.

I remember Coastal Marine in Seattle telling me something about weep holes some years ago and I have not had any oil drips yet, so do not know if they were just informing me or they did something, but with 2600 hours on the engine, I am sure some routine fix-it items will show themselves soon and your information and pictures are a saver for my files.

Walt
'Sea Bear' #43
nwradio

Postby Bruce » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:04 am

Thank you and Good Morning Walt. If you have a crankcase ventilation tube originating from the valve cover and connecting to the air cleaner assembly then our systems are the same. You should note that the oil weeping from the aftercooler is a sign that the system is functioning correctly. If the oil is not weeping then the cooler assembly is slowly filling up with oil. This does two things. The oil prevents airflow through the cooler vains and will ultimately cause the charged air to heat robing you of power. Secondly, once filled the oil is then sucked into the intake causing a while new set of issues.
During you daily/weekly routine inspection you should ensure that the cooler is in fact weeping a bit of oil. If not I would suggest cleaning out the weep hole with a small bit of safety wire. You wont hurt anything by doing so.

Regards,

Bruce
Bruce

Postby nwradio » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:09 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, Bruce. Since the bilge oil-cleanup rag is so clean, I bet that weep hole is plugged.

I will get to making sure its clear before I start adding hours to the engine for the next season.

Take care,

Walt
nwradio

Postby chrisaensing » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:15 am

When I first purchased my boat I went through the entire seawater cooling side. YES! that brass piece is an issue. Mine feeds my dripless.
When I serviced my After Cooler that sucker fell off. It was a hazard waiting to happen.
Take a look at this entry in my Blog to see what I had to do.
https://pauhanacamano.blogspot.com/2020 ... ooler.html
chrisaensing

Return to Open Topics