TAMD41-P Oil Change

Any topic related to our Camano boats

TAMD41-P Oil Change

Postby Harmony » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:36 am

Seems odd, but I can't seem to find the oil capacity of the TAMD41-P engine. I bought an oil change pump kit, and have sucked out all I can. Can anyone tell me how much you are normally to get out?
Thanks for your help,
Mike
Harmony

Re: TAMD41-P Oil Change

Postby NorWyn » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:02 pm

Mike,

You are not alone in terms of not pulling all the oil out, I think.

By memory I think the oil capacity is 10 litres (I will check my manual next time I am at the boat).

If we can suck 7 litres up the dipstick plus whatever is in the oil filter, it seems to be a good day... not sure where the other three litres are hiding! Since we change the oil every 100 hours I don’t worry too much about it.

I did buy a cheap electric pump for our last change and for whatever reason it seemed to extract the dirtiest oil and the added oil seems cleaner than in the past when we have used a manual type pump.

-Chris
NorWyn

Postby Harmony » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:52 pm

Chris,
Thanks for the info!
Mike
Harmony

Postby jhance » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:33 pm

Capacity is 11 liters including the filter. I am able to extract 10-10.5 liters. Move your pump tube around in small increments to find the lowest spot.
Jamey Hance
"Audrey Grace" #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby Sea Muse » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:03 am

I usually start pumping oil out at the end of what might be my last run of the season while the oil is still hot. I'll only get 5 litres out until I wait a while until more oil has drained down from above, then I get 3 more litres but I have to work at it with adjusting the suction tube height as mentioned. So with the filter maybe 9 litres out of 11. I've even listed the boat over one time, can't remember if that helped.
Sea Muse

Postby Harmony » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:48 am

Thanks to all for the info.
Just one more example of how design engineers aren't actually required to do service on what they make before it goes into production.
I got 7.5 liters out not counting what was left in the filter.
Not ideal but will have to do for this first time for me.
Mike
Harmony

Postby NorWyn » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:30 pm

Checked my Volvo manual today and Jamey is right...11 litres including what is in the filter. 10.5 litres excluding the filter contents.

I’ve done 9 oil changes since we bought the boat and no matter what I do with the extraction hose I can’t get close to pulling 10 litres. I am wondering if anyone has tried putting the hose down the fitting that the oil filter attaches to once as much oil as you can get through the dip stick is out? Is it feasible to do? Any downside to trying this?

-Chris
NorWyn

Postby rbunz » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:51 pm

When I had my engine out I had the shop install a drain line. This is far superior to the dipstick method but I never get the full 3 gallons of oil out. I always end up with a portion of the last gallon left over (I am judging by how much oil goes back in). The reality is that most of us don't use the engine enough in a season to "wear out" the oil. We change it because we can and have been patterned by the oil companies to do it. Every other year I also have the oil analyzed as another preventative step. Its cheap insurance......

Rick
Wild hare
rbunz

Postby Harmony » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:03 pm

Rick,
I had a similar setup in the Lehman engine on my former boat, and it had worked great for 34 years - pan drain with a hose going to a pump - wish the Camano folks had done the same.
An experienced marine mechanic told me to go 200 hrs between changes, or once a year - as the modern oils are so detergent that they can actually be too aggressive. Historically I have averaged about 150 hrs/year - but change it every Winter because the oil does carry acids which can cause problems if left for months during the Winter.
Volvo's "just suck it out" instructions seem a bit cavalier to me. God forbid you should ever get water condensation in your oil! I imagine it would rust through the pan if it happened - but of course you'd have bigger problems that that if it did!
No setup is perfect - we all just do the best we can with what we have.
Take care,
Mike
Harmony

Postby rwidman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:31 pm

Regardless of the stated capacity, don't try to put that much in. Once you pump the old oil out and replace the filter (do this when the oil is hot), put in a gallon and a half or so, let it sit a few minutes and then check the level on the dipstick. Keep adding oil, a quart or so at a time until it reads full on the dipstick.

Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes, shut it off, let it sit a few minutes and then add oil a little at a time until it's at the full mark on the dipstick.
rwidman

Return to Open Topics