Bow Thruster Replacements?

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Bow Thruster Replacements?

Postby Puffin » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:31 pm

Hello,
I have Puffin out of the water for bottom paint, etc. We pulled the propeller on the bow thruster and noticed some serious cracks. I am reluctant to reinstall it and hope is holds together. The bow thruster is a "Bow-Power" built by Marine Hardware. They no longer build bow thrusters and it appears that replacement propellers are not available. Puffin was built in 1993 (hull #27) so the bow thruster is 27 years old.
I have looked at "Side Power" bow thrusters but installing one would probably require a new tube, some fiberglass work and redoing some control wiring. This is a pricy option.
I'm wondering what brand of bow thrusters the newer Camanos have? Hopefully they might allow a simpler installation not requiring any fiber glass work or changes to the control wiring.
I appreciate your help,
Jay
Puffin

Re: Bow Thruster Replacements?

Postby NorWyn » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:36 pm

I believe the thruster on my 2005 boat is a “keypower” by Kobelt. Website:

Kobelt.com

I will try to get the model number for you when I am at the boat tomorrow.

-Chris
NorWyn

Postby Puffin » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:17 am

Thanks Chris. I appreciate your help.
Jay
Puffin

Postby NorWyn » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:07 am

No problem at all, Jay!

The model I have appears to be KP08E

I suspect that implies an 8” tube but the documentation is not exactly clear. I would suggest giving Kobelt a call and discussing it with them directly. They also supplied the throttle mechanisms for our boats. I have found them fairly helpful in the past.

Good luck!

Chris
NorWyn

Postby Sea Muse » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:28 am

My boat is 2003 model also with Keypower auger type (so called in the manual) bronze propeller. I remember measuring the propeller to be 7" so an 8" tube would make sense. Jay, is yours a plastic propeller? Chris, have you ever added or changed lube oil?
Sea Muse

Postby Puffin » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:53 am

I called the Kobelt factory in Surry B.C. and learned that they supplied the "Keypower" thrusters for the later Camanos. The person I talked to was very helpful and familiar with the arrangement and said that replacement units are available. I need to check on the inside and outside diameter of the thruster tube to see if the tube on Puffin is the same size as the later models. I would like to replace with the Kobelt unit since they are somewhat local and the control wiring should be similar.
The propeller on my old thruster is metal, perhaps bronze but badly decomposed and has some cracks. It is not plastic.
Puffin

Postby NorWyn » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:08 am

Sea muse,

Was not aware there was lube oil....now something new to research ....the keypower manual is fairly extensive, so hopefully it’s covered in there.

Jay, not sure your location but it might be worth pulling your prop and taking it to Kobelt on the faint hope that you might be able to fit one of their props without replacing the entire unit. As I say faint hope clause but just a thought. Alternatively could you get a copy of your existing one fabricated? No idea if that is feasible but A whole new unit sounds pricey!

Cheers,

-Chris
NorWyn

Return to Open Topics