Gauge Clusters

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Gauge Clusters

Postby NorWyn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:36 pm

Hi all,

Looking for. some advice:

My gauge clusters at both helms are going haywire, they will read accurately occasionally but more often the needles are flipping around on the tach, temperature gauge and to a lesser extent the voltage meter and oil pressure guagd.

I have done a cursory look at all the connections and can’t see anything obvious but I am no electrician!

I suspect water may have intruded up top but wonder if, or how, that might impact the lower cluster.

Anyone run into this before or have any thoughts. Seems obvious there is a short somewhere but I am unsure where to start looking at this point. Any advice is appreciated,

Cheers,

Chris
NorWyn

Re: Gauge Clusters

Postby rbunz » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:41 pm

Chris

The engine electrical system is separate from the house. There some commonality between the upper and lower helm which is the ground. I would check all the ground connections starting at the lower helm. Clean all the connections and put some anti-oxide grease on them. Let us know the results,

Rick
rbunz

Postby rwidman » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:16 am

There is probably a plug and socket somewhere connecting the gauges to the engine (I don't know for sure). This would be the place to look for an intermittent connection.

If you find one, pull it apart, spray electrical contact cleaner on all the pins and sockets, then connect and disconnect it a few times. This should clean the contacts.
rwidman

Postby NorWyn » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:31 am

Thanks, guys!

I am following up on both your suggestions and seem to have made some progress though won’t know for certain until we get some decent weather to take her out for a decent test run. I did have a bad connection at the temperature sending wire and did spray it with cleaner and tighten the female connector. Not sure that that should effect other gauges but things seem to be working normally again...at least at the dock.

The weather is not great for getting under the fly bridge dash right now but when it is I am going to go through all the connections as suggested.

Cheers,

Chris
NorWyn

Return to Open Topics