Dinghy recommendations

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Dinghy recommendations

Postby Air&Sea » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:45 pm

We moved our CT hull #171 Voyager from inland lake Texoma to Gulf Coast two months ago. We're loving the excitement of boating in such a different environment - Houston Ship Channel ... shallow waters in Galveston Bay ... oil platforms ... tugs, tows, barges ... MASSIVE ships, tankers etc. ...
We belong to a cruising group that regularly plans overnights in areas that dictate a dinghy to get from boat to boat, etc.

What dinghy recommendations have worked for our fellow CT owners?

Macp
Air&Sea

Re: Dinghy recommendations

Postby nwradio » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:49 am

I use an Achilles HB-LX series since I like a rigid bottom to protect against rocks and such during beach landings and the lighter weight on the swim platform.
I am In the pacific northwest so not too afraid of sun damage to the fabric - something you might look into being your south of me.

There are LOTS of nice dinghy's out there. Be prepared for many suggestions.

Walt
'Sea Bear' #43
nwradio

Postby rbunz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:46 pm

We have an AB 9.5 in length. Actually the better question is how are you going to attach it?

I have a hydraulic Weaver Davit system that raises the dinghy with the motor attached. Operates with a foot peddle and I can raise or lower the dinghy pretty quick. We still have access to the swim step for getting on and off the boat. The davit systems aren't cheap but once installed will probably last longer than the hypalon

Rick
rbunz

Postby chrisaensing » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:28 am

I too am researching placing a Dinghy - Can you all post some pictures of your installations? I need ideas.
chrisaensing

Postby nwradio » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:27 pm

I use the Weaver Snap Davit system.

https://www.weaverindustries.com/index. ... -mount.htm

I will not be back down to the boat till next month so that I could take a picture, but they have a good web site and a few pictures from there will help. I do need to take the outboard off first, which is why I only use a 2 HP Yamaha. But the 2 HP is enough to get me around the marina, to the dinghy dock or to shore for a stroll.

When the outboard is off, I then have a line tied to the far end of the dinghy's stern and just pull hard to lift it up. I then have a stand-off rod on the port side of the Camano to stand the dinghy vertical. My usual dock tie is on the starboard side - same as my slip - and this keeps the standoff from interfering with boarding. When underway, I use another line from the bow of the dinghy to the Camano to lift the whole dinghy up farther from the water.

One nice thing is that it keeps passengers from falling off when they board using the swim platform. Makes them feel good knowing something is there to catch them if they lose balance.

Walt
'Sea Bear' #43
nwradio

Postby DeTour » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:33 am

We have Avon RIB 310 with 15 hp
I would say this is likely as big as you can hang off the back of a Camano. 10'2"
We have the weaver davit that we pivot the dingy up on the back edge of the swim platform.
We lift the motor using a simple lift from stainless steel outfitter. Have used it on several boats and works great.

We tow the the dingy 95% of the time unless we are doing a long haul and or moving the boat in a rough sea state. (+12 knots of wind and building)

Colin
DeTour
Camano 248
Toronto/Midland
DeTour

Postby rwidman » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:44 pm

I have a 8' inflatable with a high pressure air floor. We haul it (manually) over the bow rail and place it stern first and upside down on the bow when not in use. It' a PITA, but it doesn't block the swim platform or make the boat any longer.

This season will be our first with an ePropulsion electric outboard motor.
rwidman

Postby chrisaensing » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:25 am

This is what we did. I wish I had gone a little larger with the dinghy though but went with a size based on the outboard we already had.

http://pauhanacamano.blogspot.com/2021/ ... -time.html
chrisaensing

Postby SaltyDog » Wed May 12, 2021 8:39 am

Hypalon fabric was a requirement as was the ability to collapse/ fold/ store the dinghy on the flybridge. An added requirement was the use of Weaver davits on the swimstep for longer journeys where quick/easy deployment / retrieval are necessary. So we settled on an Achilles LSI-260E dinghy with a 6hp Suzuki outboard. Light weight, portability, hypalon, and size requirements were all met.
Tim
Camano 31 WakeRobin #262
Tracyton, WA
SaltyDog

Postby RMDH » Wed May 12, 2021 9:32 pm

We use a 9.5 ft AB rib, 9hp outboard on a locally-made Seawise manual crank davit which all works well for us.
The engine remains on the dingy all the time.

Richard
“Snug” #231
RMDH

Return to Open Topics