Overflow drain through hull caps - where to source

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Overflow drain through hull caps - where to source

Postby NorthVanBob » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Some less-than-perfect docking (in Little Charmer's past of course!) resulted in two of the outboard black plastic threaded caps on the thru-hull overflow drains - one for a fuel tank and the other for a water tank - 'getting lost'. The threaded outboard ends of the thru hulls look intact so all I need is replacement caps. Any ideas on where to source these in the Vancouver area? I tried Steveston Marine in Kitsilano but the store is in such disarray and staff in the dark I gave up in frustration.

The thought of having to replace both thru hulls gives me the heebie jeebies, particularly since I imagine fuel and water tanks have to be removed to do so, unless anyone has done this without such bother.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Bob
Little Charmer
Authentic Warman 150 - 1993
NorthVanBob

Re: Overflow drain through hull caps - where to source

Postby rbunz » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:25 am

Bob,

We have all had docking adventures. As they say its only a scratch until you add throttle. Since you can't get to the backside easily this is a bigger challenge even if found the original part. You can check Fisheries https://www.fisheriessupply.com for something close. However since you sheared the outer section off most likely a portion of it is still threaded to the inner section and will be difficult to remove. Alternatively you could just cover the vents with a stainless fairing like the air vent for the tanks. You can buy these at West Marine. I would carefully seal the threaded area with silicon sealer and then cover with the fairing. Since Camano already has these in various locations, no one will notice the difference.

//Rick
Wild Hare
rbunz

Postby NorthVanBob » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:14 am

Thanks Rick -

I've been lucky in that the vent pipes did not shear off, their threads are intact and the pipes are still nicely sealed where they go through the hull. I checked out the fisheries supply website - a great resource for future needs, for sure! I also found this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132462121430

The end cap, which has a threaded nut attached to it just might fit or could be made to fit with some sealant build-up (fingers crossed). Buying a couple won't break the bank, in any case. We'll go to your suggested plan B if that doesn't work.

It's nice to have a cap that 'hisses' as you fill up the tanks, indicating they're getting close to full, and something that prevents any splashes from getting in , for sure.

Thanks again for your sage advice! Will post results once I get the parts and try them on for size.

Bob
NorthVanBob

Postby Sea Muse » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi Bob: After reading your issue with tank vents it prompted me to check mine. I noticed one has been discolored (by the sun I guess) and has a few cracks, I think from a
fender. I unscrewed one cap that was in good condition and noticed it is fine thread and of roughly 1 inch diameter. My boat is a 2003 model so I'm not sure if your vents would be any different. What did you end up replacing the caps with ??
---- Wayne
Sea Muse

Postby Sea Muse » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:54 am

The tank overflow/vents can be found at www.hollandmarine.com in Toronto, Canada. Part # 14591 Pg# 159 of the 2018 online catalog. I have one and it fits. --- Wayne
Sea Muse

Postby NorWyn » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:42 pm

Just an update...these remain available at the Holland Marine site Wayne refers to, under the same part number. I found phoning them was easier than navigating their website. $6.50 cdn. each plus shipping.

I doubt I would have found the exact part without the forum! Gotta love it.

They shipped them to me together with their phone book size 2018-2020 catalogue which is pretty extensive. Very helpful on the phone.

-Chris
NorWyn

Postby Sea Muse » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:51 pm

Hi Chris, glad you were able to find your vents. I broke mine with a misplaced fender while towing a bigger boat alongside. After I installed the new vent I found the stainless flush mount ones, they require a larger hole thru the hull. A job for a different day. I agree, this forum is GREAT.
Sea Muse

Return to Open Topics