Haul Out

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Re: Haul Out

Postby NorWyn » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:34 am

jhance,

Thanks for sharing. That is good news!

One less thing to deal with on my first haul out which starts tomorrow.

Cheers,

-Chris
Norwyn
NorWyn

Postby dboyes » Tue May 01, 2018 2:19 pm

Anode is KP12-A-001

Here is photo of bolt and allen key that came with boat for removal.

Bolt is 3.5 inch long, and either 15/16 or 1 inch wide and course thread
Attachments
IMG_6351.jpeg
IMG_6351.jpeg (275.76 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
David
Piccolo #98
dboyes

Postby jhance » Tue May 01, 2018 3:01 pm

So THAT'S what that bolt is. Holy... I've been wondering what the heck that big bolt is for.

At any rate, sounds like internal zinc not necessarily needed if exterior is in place. I believe the two zincs are touching the same metal pieces so only need one.
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Re: Haul Out Zincs?

Postby Orrs@me.com » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:40 pm

Reading this tread there are many mentions of the Keypower Biw thruster and it’s Zincs. I’m struggling to find a source of the snub-nose one?
I still have a spare ring anode - but my nose one has spun-off (new last season). Can anyone direct me to a source?
Regards,
Brian
Spirit of Whitby
Orrs@me.com

Re: Haul Out Zincs?

Postby jhance » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:46 pm

55989Z

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/martyr- ... n-cm55989z

Internal zinc not needed if you have the external spin-on. Recommend changing every six months.

Orrs@me.com wrote:
> Reading this tread there are many mentions of the Keypower Biw thruster and
> it’s Zincs. I’m struggling to find a source of the snub-nose one?
> I still have a spare ring anode - but my nose one has spun-off (new last
> season). Can anyone direct me to a source?
> Regards,
> Brian
> Spirit of Whitby
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby NorWyn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi guys,

The thruster “nose” zinc is widely available “off the shelf” at most of our local chandlers here.

Jamey, I agree regarding swapping that thruster zinc every six months. How are you accomplishing this?

My choices at this point seem to be:

1) a diver who won’t suit up for under $250 or

2) a quick haul out and swapping the zincs while she’s in the cradle ...again about $250

Have you figured out a cheaper solution? Last year we went 11 months before hauling and when we did the thruster zinc was totally gone but the threads were clean with no damage.I think the transom zinc is the fall back and takes over as long as the bonding is all good but that is just a theory.

Thoughts or suggestions are welcomed....

-Chris
NorWyn

Postby Orrs@me.com » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:17 pm

I managed it with wetsuit snorkel and mask! Slight problem it wasn’t there next time I hauled our! Need to practice next time the boat is on the hard!
Water temperature could be a small deterrent in the PNW. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Orrs@me.com

Postby jhance » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:21 pm

I have a diver on my boat every six months as I don't want any metal unprotected. My thruster zinc is nearly completely gone is six months. My diver dove Audrey Grace yesterday and there was only a sliver left on the threads of the thruster zinc after six months. I think it wears away faster because it's so small and maybe because it's on a large metal surface (thruster blades) under the water, but who really knows. For some reason my transom zinc barely gets any wear. I have a little green corrosion happening on the inside connections to the transom zinc, so I'm wondering if that isn't making a connection to my bonding system.

At any rate, all the rest of my zincs seem to be 50% or more worn away at six months, so I feel the six month interval is good. My diver charges $150 for about an hour total time. See if your diver can do you while he's on other boats near you to possibly lower the rate. But either way, I don't like seeing zincs completely gone. If you're finding that happening you might up your service interval. I think each boat and marina electrolysis may be different.

Also of note, I have been painting the areas of my zincs where I don't want them to wear away (bottom paint or fingernail polish). For example, on the prop shaft zinc, I paint a 1/2" stripe on the outside part of the zinc closest to the bolts. That area seems to get worn away fast, and there's not much meat there so there is a chance the entire zinc falls off prematurely once the bolts get exposed and fall out. Before I painted the stripe, I was losing that zinc. I do something similar with my swim step support bracket zincs and skeg zinc while being careful not to disrupt the electrical connectivity of the zinc to the metal part I am connecting to. Since I have been doing that, my zincs have been worn but still attached, and I have been really glad I painted those areas because those areas didn't wear away as fast and were keeping the zinc in place even though the entire zinc was well past 50% consumed.

Jamey
Jamey Hance
Audrey Grace #188
Orcas Island, WA
jhance

Postby NorWyn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:39 pm

Thank, Guys. Good information.

I tried the mask and snorkel thing in August but could not get enough purchase to get the old thruster zinc off...I turned a lot; the zinc not so much. :)
Next time I may take her into shallow water where I can stand.

I agree about not wanting to leave any metal unprotected but did notice that for the first six months after I changed all the zincs last year, the transom one looked like new and then began to rot much faster - presumably because the other zincs had deteriorated. When I hauled her the thruster zinc was
gone but the threads were still like new. Again, I suspect the bonding system is protecting all areas as a backup but would not want to rely on that "theory".

I did talk to a chandler in this area a while ago and he told me he can order me a larger version of the thruster zinc that has the same size attaching threads. I am going to see if that is correct and if I can get longer life from the larger version.

I hate having to spend $$$ to replace a $7 part!

Thanks again,

-Chris
NorWyn

Previous

Return to Open Topics