Hard Top Cockpit Cover

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Hard Top Cockpit Cover

Postby Comes a Time 2 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:09 am

Anyone as yet installed ... Mold..... or know where about's of a " Hard Fiberglass Roof Cover " for the stern Cockpit of Camano 31
Pete.
Comes a Time 2
Comes a Time 2

Re: Hard Top Cockpit Cover

Postby SaltyDog » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:58 am

Following.....

BTW, I checked w/ Helmsman and the cockpit cover they're putting in the reconfigured 31 is not adaptable to the Camano 31.
Tim
Camano 31 WakeRobin #262
Tracyton, WA
SaltyDog

Postby gjworley » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:22 pm

Hello All,

I purchased Hull 74 last year. She "Just Be" had a hardtop cockpit cover that had been removed due to damage. I rebuilt the cover last year and reinstalled it this summer. I have some pictures I can send of before the rebuild. I tried to upload but the board can't take anymore attachments. However, PM me, and I will send these via email. These should give you an idea of how this was made.

I understand it came with the boat as a custom request. It is a simple construction, sandwiched foam. The cover weighs about 80 lbs, after my rebuild anyway. I will take some pictures this weekend when I go down to the boat showing the supports and how it looks on the stern.

George
gjworley

Postby SaltyDog » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:57 am

Kudos to George for his offer.

I've engaged a perfectionist craftsman for the purpose of developing a mold for Camano Troll / 31 cockpit hardtops. He does hardtops and full fiberglass enclosures for both sailboats and trawlers, with decades of experience.

I've contacted Fiberlay to address gel coat color matching per Bruce's recommendation made a couple of years ago and intend to have the first hartop completed by early Spring '22. The cover will be sized with an opening that will accommodate a lewmar hatch (size 60 or 70) for access to the flybridge. Because quantity can drive purchase price downward, I'd like to know if any of you are interested in a hardtop for your cockpit. If you could PM me with your level of interest (Casual or Serious) sometime before November 15, It'll help tremendously in the craftsman's planning. My hope is that, with enough Camano owners seriously interested, we can get purchase prices down to a very competitive level.

Please let me know if you're interested and, if so, your level of interest.

Best regards,
Tim
Camano 31 WakeRobin #262
Tracyton, WA
SaltyDog

Postby Comes a Time 2 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:25 am

George... the offer for the pictures of your Hardtop Cover would be great...Thanks
comesatime111@gmail.com. Many thanks
{Pete
Comes a Time 2

Postby gjworley » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:06 pm

Photos sent. If anyone else wants a before and after, just PM or email me...gjworley@gmail.com
George
gjworley

Postby Nautica » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:18 pm

Salty Dog! I have no idea how to PM on this sight, but I'm in on the hard top! Very serious! I'm getting ready to have my canvas "hardtop" re-done but would be willing to hold off for a real FG one....

Thanks for putting this together

Tim
Nautica
# 238
Castle Rock, WA
Last edited by Nautica on Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nautica

Postby SaltyDog » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:49 am

'Spoke with the fabricator yesterday and he said he's willing to go the full route and build a mold to our collective specification (vs. one-off, much more expensive route) if we can identify two more Camano 31 owners who have high interest. The result will be a more refined and higher quality top for us all.

Anyone else interested?
Tim
Camano 31 WakeRobin #262
Tracyton, WA
SaltyDog

Postby Islander2017 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:02 pm

Hi,

I'm interested but concerned about getting it across the borderer to Canada. Duty and exchange rates may make it cost prohibitive. Any idea on cost yet? Would it be structured strong enough to use as an extended deck space?
Thanks for the info.
Cheers, Brent
Cheers, Brent
Hull #5
Larrikin
Comox, BC
Islander2017

Postby SaltyDog » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:30 pm

Hi Brent,

One of the design criteria is that the hard top must be strong enough to stand on and to carry a load. It will be up to those interested in obtaining the top to collectively nail down all the design specifics before the mold development begins. For example, I am a fan of lewmar hatches and would like to suggest that the top be designed to accommodate a size 60 or 70 hatch to the group. It will be up to the group to make the final decision. I view all the design criteria to be open to those interested in moving ahead. We won't be able to get a price out of the fabricator until he knows just what we want. It'll be at that time that we each can give the thumbs up or down re: whether any of us wants to proceed or bow out.

Insofar as getting the top across the border, I would imagine that the fabricator could install it with your assistance at our yacht club location in Bremerton, WA. Or he may be willing to crate it and ship it to you. He hasn't been approached with the question. It's something I can ask him when he and I cross paths again sometime in the next week or two.
Tim
Camano 31 WakeRobin #262
Tracyton, WA
SaltyDog

Next

Return to Open Topics