Propane level sensor

Any topic related to our Camano boats

Propane level sensor

Postby rbunz » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:06 pm

The gauge on Wild Hare's propane tank has never worked and trying to guess the level is hazardous at best. The Admiral is not happy when the propane runs out during meal prep. I found this device that attaches to the bottom of the tank with magnets and communicates to an app on your phone. Pretty simple and will alert you when the level drops to 20%. Paid $33 at Amazon. Here is a link to the manual https://mopeka.com/homepage/instructions/

//Rick
Wild Hare
Attachments
LPappsmall.jpg
LPappsmall.jpg (42.26 KiB) Viewed 390 times
LP.jpg
Sensor attached to tank
LP.jpg (102.91 KiB) Viewed 390 times
rbunz

Re: Propane level sensor

Postby NorWyn » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:37 am

That’s pretty cool!

Coincidentally, I was at the fillin’ station the other day and while I had thought my two tanks after last season, were low they were actually almost full.

I have a ten pound tank for the stove and a five pound tank for the BBQ...I hate those disposable one pound tanks and by using two tanks, if one goes dry I can swap over for a short time until I can refill. The five pound tank also gets the BBQ much hotter.

I asked the attendant how to tell how full the tanks are. He said the tank has its empty weight stamped on it (at least here in Canada). If you weigh the tank full then compare versus the empty tank weight you get a good indication. I have one of those spring loaded luggage scales where you hang your suitcase off a hook. I am going to keep it on board as my low tech solution to knowing when to fill.

-Chris
NorWyn

Postby rbunz » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:32 am

Chris,

My problem is that the hose in the propane locker is very short and I am not sure I could get an accurate weight. I am only setup for a single tank so having another would be a storage problem. I really don't want to stash more weight on the upper deck as that is where the kayak and generator live. For $33 US this was an easy solution....
rbunz

Postby rwidman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:21 am

I bought a simple fish scale. The kind you hook the fish on and then hold up for the weight. I just hook the tank, raise it a bit and read the weight. Subtract the empty weight of the tank and you know how many pounds of propane you have left.
rwidman

Return to Open Topics